Zoom Lenses

maureen_ledet

What do you consider "affordable"? What will you be shooting --landscapes, sports, nature, portraits, .... ? What's more important, image quality or convenience? There are many "affordable" zooms out there and you have to narrow things down a bit.

The following 70-300 is the cheapest from Nikon ($135)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/207359-USA/Nikon_1928_Zoom_Telephoto_AF_Zoom.html

In fact the imported version costs $20 less.

It is a very good lens given its cost. On the Cons It does not boast a great Low light Perfromance. Esp the f stop can come down only upto f/4. In Low Light, the auto focus also is not great.

On the Pro side it is a good lens. Good when there is reasonable light conditions. Good Portraits and long range shots and Bokeh too.

This is the most affordable. The world of zoom starts from there upto almost multiples of 1000s of dollars.

Hope this helps.

Maureen,

Afforability and D200 are the two clues you have given us. My bet would be the 18-70mm lens. I sold mine and regret doing so. It was plenty wide enough for most situations, comparitively light weight, fast to focus (and that was on the D70 you can expect faster from the D200) and to buy on new anywhere for what it represents is very inexpensive.