Zoom lens for my D100

bryan_terce

i don't have that lens, but i do have the 70-300ED. it is very sharp at f/8-11, i use it a lot for macro work. by the way the 24-85 that you have is also very nice with the price that we get. you got d100, why dont you get the D version of 70-300. it is very light weight "crappy" plastic body. you will feel so much different when you feel the ED series one.

hope it helps.

It helps when asking for lens recommendations it helps if you indicate what you plan to photograph and what you budget is. If you budget is under $200 and you want to reach 300mm this may be your only option. Considering you just spent at least 1600 in camera, software and accessories you may not want to get the cheapest lens available. I'm sure for home made 4x6 prints the G lens will be fine.

Isn't the 70-300mm G a typical kit lens?? So, it probably has a typical kit lens performance??

Why would you "cheap out" on a lens when you have a nice >$1k DSLR??

If you're looking in that zoom range, I would recommend the 80-200mm/2.8 AFD (2 ring). Of course, if you have the money the AFS versions (70/80-200mm) are sweet!

Good luck!!!

I have the 70-300 G. If I had the cash I'd replace it immediately. It's apparently soft

at 300mm, but I don't notice that nearly as much as I notice its speed issues (it's a

slow lens and the AF is grindingly slow) and that it's not very contrasty at 300mm.

The speed issues just irritate me but the lack of contrast is something I run headlong

into a bunch.

<p>

If you want to shoot a lot at 300mm I'd look at a different lens. I can take pictures

with mine and they come out and I even like them, but I would be way better served

with a 300mm prime for the kind of shooting I like to do with mine (mostly wildlife

and birds; I favor my 135 prime for my landscape work).

<p>

Now, that said: if you want the 70-300 to get the range of focal lengths between 85

and, say, 200 available to you, then the lens actually works mostly okay. I'd still pick

the <a href="http://www.bythom.com/70300lens.htm">ED version</a> over the G

(and not just because I have an FM3a I like to use). It's "only" $200 or so more.

<p>

More specific advice must await additional detail on your shooting habits.

>I bought a used 70-210/4-5.6D for < $200 at (KEH.com) and it is a >very nice and relatively small lens. On the D-100 it ends up being >about a 100-300. Here is a review.

>http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/7021056.htm

I have the 70-210/4.5-5.6 D and second everything in Rockwell's review. It is a well made lens and produces sharp negs at all focal lengths. It's not an 80-200 f2.8 but I paid $160 for mine in like new condition -- more than $500 less than the 80-200.

When I was looking for an 'affordable' zoom lens, I also considered the 70-300 G lens, and discussed this with my 'standard' retailer (from whom I have bought quite a lot of phot/video gear over the years).

He asked me what other lenses I had - I told him I had the 24-120mm f:3.5-5.6 ED. Whereupon he said that he would strongly advise against the Nikon G lens, saying that I would be disappointed with the results. He advised me to buy the corresponding Sigma APO lens (about the same price). He did actually offer to sell me the Nikon, with the condition that I could return it for the Sigma within the week, when I had found that I really was not going to be satisfied with the Nikon.

My requirements are not particularly severe, but I remain happy with the Sigma.