Zoom Lens for D90 and D700

rob_shooter

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I'm in the market for a zoom lens for my D90 and D700. I'm well covered on the short end but lacking over 90mm. Going to work to a budget maxing out at approx 1000 GBP (approx 1600 USD). Already have Kenko Pro DG 1.4x and 2x if any good with my final choice. </p>

<p>I want this lens for pictures of the kids - school (indoor plays etc and outdoor soccer etc) and landscapes, Formula 1 Grand Prix, vacation etc. Tripod and handheld if possible. I don't shoot very often at 2.8 (but for indoor school plays etc would be useful but higher iso speed quality of both cameras helps there) - most of my images when I look back are at f/5.6 through to f/11 or f/13 (most @ f/8). Image sharpness is important to me. Not interested in animal or bird photoography. I'm looking to acheive 300mm on D700 with TC if required. I would like good results from cropped images - especially of kids.</p>

<p>Choices being considered are as follows:</p>

<p>Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR<br>

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8<br>

Nikon 70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6<br>

Sigma 100-300mm F/4</p>

<p>Any recommendations would be welcome.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Rigth now I am shooting with a Nikon 80-200 2.8 on my D90. Takes excellent shots outside and inside. I take alot of sports action pics and this lens is my favorite. It is not my favorite one to use if you are underneath a basket shooting a ball game but real nice from afar. I have used it on a D70, D90 and D200 and the lens worked great.<br>

Good Luck!</p>

<p>If you are shooting at f/8, all the lenses will be decent. The 70-300VR is a nice choice because it is the lightest and has VR so it works easily hand held. OTOH, it will be quite slow for those indoor plays.</p>

<p>If I were choosing between the 80-200 and the Sigma 100-300, the 80-200 would win because of that extra stop. However, if you plan to use a 1.4x t/c with the 80-200, I would be inclined to save a lot of money and just go with the Sigma, especially for the faster AF. </p>

<p>Another possibility would be the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. Again, fast AF and it would be nearly 300mm with a 1.4x t/c but your image quality will not be as good as you get with the 100-300, though you would have the flexibility of using that extra stop if you need it.</p>

<p>The best choice overall -- if money is not a concern -- would be the 70-200VR. The stabalization would be very helpful and you have the flexibility of picking up a couple stops over the 70-300.</p>

<p>There have been some reports of vignetting at the long end of the 70-200VR with an FX body. However, some of this can be corrected in processing and really, it is an issue only if you fill the frame with your subject. For example, shoot a little less tight when photographing your children, then either take out the edges or enhance the vignetting to have a more dramatic portrait. </p>

<p>If it were me and money wasn't a concern, I still would rather have the VR and faster AF from the 70-200.</p>

<p>Rob,<br>

<br>

Bruce is correct about the vignetting on the 70-200mm VR.  I use it on a D700, my copy vignettes at 200mm at all apertures but only at 200mm and this will not show on the D90.  This is easily corectable with post shoot editing.  Otherwise the 70-200mm VR is brilliant.  I would not recommend using a TC on this lens nor the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 as the IQ loss is quite a let down.  I did own a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM lens which worked better with TC's than either of the above mentioned Nikkors, even up to a 2x APO TC.</p>

• 7 months later...