zoom lens d90

bob_silva

<p>Just received a d90 with 18-105 lens. Was looking for opinions regarding a telephoto lens that would be good for indoor events such as wrestling or ice skating etc.? not looking to have to take out a mortgage to buy one though, maybe in the $200.00 - $600.00 dollar range. any help/suggestions will be appreciated.<br>

thanks<br>

Bob S </p>

<p>Bob,</p>

<p>There is no good lens in the price range you mention. The following lenses will give you <strong>mediochre</strong> performance in indoor low light situations, requiring you to shoot wide open and or boost your ISO greatly.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449088-USA/Nikon_2161_AF_S_VR_Zoom_Nikkor_70_300mm.html">Nikon 70-300mm f4.5.5.6 VR</a> Not real sharp at 300mm.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486717-USA/Nikon_2166_55_200mm_f_4_5_6G_ED_AF_S.html">Nikon 55-200mm f4.5-5.6 VR</a> Sharp across the full focal range.</p>

<p>I suggest saving up and purchasing a Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 AFS VR lens, (first edition). This lens has just been upgraded by Nikon for better performance on FX cameras so you should be able to get a good deal on a used first version lens. The first version will work fine on your Nikon D90.</p>

<p>Bob,<br>

Get yourself a Sigma 70-200, f2.8. It is a little more than what you want to spend but at around $850 you will not be sorry. It is a monster of a lens - big & heavy, but worth every penny. Add another thousand and you can get the Nikon model.<br>

I am sure the Nikon model is better but not to sure if it is a thousand bucks better when you are not making money with your stuff.<br>

phil b<br>

benton, ky</p>

<p>Have you been to the venues for the wrestling or ice skating and taken photos already with the lens you have? If so, looking at exif data will tell you how much light there is and what focal lengths worked for you.</p>

<p>If the venues are fairly bright a 70-200/2.8 (such as the suggested Sigma) will be useful, but if they're too dark you'll want faster lens, like the 85/1.8 (also suggested earlier). Many, probably most, of the gyms I shoot basketball in are too dark for f/2.8 lenses. </p>

<p>My vote would be for the 85/1.8. It's not too expensive or heavy and works very well for sports and portraits.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Add another thousand and you can get the Nikon model.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Add another <em>hundred</em>, and get the Nikon model... The 80-200 f/2.8 :-) For fast-moving sports (speed skating sure is), VR is not a must, so you could get this older design instead. It's very good lens.<br>

But advice for the 85 f/1.8 sure is solid too. I would first check with the 18-105 whether you need more reach than 105mm, once you know that, you can make a short-list easier. Be prepared, though, above ~100mm, fast lenses rapidly become very expensive, and $600 may be a bit low.</p>