zoom creep 75-150

walterh

Hello I wonder if it is a "do it yourself" job or if it is a bit more

complicated to fix a Series E 75-150mm Nikkor lens. The zoom creeps when tilting

the lens up or down. It is the second edition. I do ok in fine mechanics but

hate jumping springs and work without documentation. Is there an explosion

drawing available?

Thanks for your time.

Walter

Walter, yes, zoom creep is the nature of the beast with the Series E 75-150.

I just live with mine... but if you wish to fix it, I have run across what seems to be a fairly elegant solution in various forum posts. Take a straight length of plain, unused Dymo brand self-adhesive label tape and apply it to the lens barrel longitudinally, which is to say running from near the aperture ring end directly toward the filter ring end. This will increase the effective diameter of the barrel, impinging on the underside of the zoom ring just enough to increase friction and stop the creep. Meanwhile, it looks nice and has a smooth nonporous surface so it doesn't attract crud or scuff or scar anything.

The suggestions for applying a layer or three of electrical tape or other thinner types of tape should also function well, if not perhaps look as "finished."

Be well,

"It must be 20+ years old now...give it a break:P"

Hey 20+ is no age for an Nikkor lens :-) I got older ones in good condition. But this zoom gives me the creeps ^^.

I would like to "live with it" if I can convince the current owner that those modern zoom lenses are much better. Creep too but feel less cold cause made of plastic :-P

Interesting that so many people have this lens with the creep problem. I just picked one up

from KEH a couple of weeks ago. They had two in "bargain" condition, one for $39 usd, the

other for $89, so I called. The cheaper one had creep. I took the $89 lens and it is

immaculate. I would call it like new. No creep what-so-ever. I guess I got lucky. I'll try to

remember some of the advice given here if/when it starts creeping on me.

"Hey 20+ is no age for an Nikkor lens :-)".

Just a nerdish note. The lens is a Nikon E (for economy) lens, not a "Nikkor". Much was made of this back in the 1980s when this superb zoom lens and its E series siblings came out - the build quality was not supposed to be good enough to warrant the label "Nikkor". Suffice it to say that the Nikon E lenses of 20+ years ago easily outperform most other lenses in almost all areas of build quality. But lens creep has plagued this lens since the early days. Mine started creeping about 2 years after I bought it in 1986.

What do you mean E for Economy! E is for Excellent, Extraordinary and Exquisite. Ok maybe I've gone too far with the last one.

Yes, there is a problem with the creep. Oddly enough I use it as two primes. Either at 75 or at 150. Perhaps it is Economical after all.

Sorry Walter. Off the subject. Roland, I've tried to get to your site for a few weeks "photosynthesis.co.nz/" but all it says is "hello world" and that's it. some time ago I was able to get on and there is some really good info on lenses. Maybe it's my PC. Any ideas?