zoom comparison

vincent_sebastiano

<p>Both made some very good lenses, but you might also want to look at the Canon brand ones.</p>

<p>I got the Canon FD 35-75 f/5 and the 70-210mm F/4 for very little and they produce very nice results.</p>

<p>Primes are also cheap. I picked up the Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 for US $50 and a surprisingly good Spiratone Plura-Coat 20mm f/2.8 in FD mount for practically nothing.</p>

<p>I have the Canon AE-1 Program with a Spiratone Autowinder. I still like my Nikon gear (what I was shooting when these were new), but I would have been greatly tempted had I understood how nice these were and are.</p>

<p>

<p>I have the Kiron 28-85 f2.8-3.8 and I enjoy the lens very much. It received very positive reviews back in its heyday. I find it very sharp. Maybe a little cool color wise (although that could be the film.) The lens has a vari-focal design so it is not a true zoom. You will have to refocus every time you change focal lengths. It is also prone to flare, so you have to watch how light hits the front of the lens. Very well made and heavy, too.<br>

It reminds of the Vivitar Series 1 28-90, which is also a great lens.<br>

Two suggestions: think about the type of photos you shoot. For example, I love taking many of my photos using the wide angle end of the lens. I rarely need to shoot at the 135 mm end.<br>

Also look at the Canon 35-105 F3.5 zoom. It has a great range (maybe not as wide as I would like), superb sharpness, a constant aperture, a very good micro focusing range and it's a true zoom. It's a favorite with many Canon FD group members and if you look hard enough, you can get a great deal on one. I use this lens more than any other.</p>

</p>

<p>The Kiron is a better lens. The Tokina is from their consumer grade of lenses and while a good lens not up the level of the Kiron who only branded lenses made to a very high std. Kiron made a number of the best Vivitar Series I lenses and the Kiron 105mm Macro is one of the sharpest lenses you can mount on your Canon FD mount body.</p>

<p>I think the Kiron is the same, optically, as the Vivitar 28-85/2.8-3.8 Auto variable Focusing. This is a sharp lens but is heavy. It also has a quirk which it shares with the 28-105/2.8-3.8 Vivitar Series 1. You can't use every focusing distance at every focal length. If you can live with this limitation then the Kiron or Vivitar 28-85 is fine. The 28-85/3.5-4.5 Tokina AT-X is somewhat slower but focuses to 3 feet at all focal lengths and has a separate close focus setting which gets you even closer. I have the Tokina in Canon FD, Konica AR and Nikon AI mounts. The Nikon mount lens needs some work. I recently got a 35-105/3.5 Canon New FD lens. My only complaint about this lens is that at the 105 setting its closest focus distance is a little too far for a tight portrait. A short extension tube solves that problem.<br>

I have seen the 35-135/3.5-4.5 Tokina RMC and it may be the same as one of the Vivitar models too. I have two 35-135 lenses. One is an f/4-4.6 Tokina AT-X in Canon FD mount and one is the same lens with the Konica name on it. This is decently sharp but has some distortion and is heavy and dim to focus through. I think I would use it with fast film even on a sunny day if I could not use a tripod. A prime 135 I would use would range in speed from f/2.3 for the Vivitar Series 1 to f/2.5 for the FD SSC or Vivitar TX to f/3.5 for an older FD. Very few people would use a 135/4.6 if they had a choice so I don't use the 28-135s very often. The only reason I can use the Konica one is that I have two Konica bodies with Nikon E screens in them.<br>

My favorite zoom in this range is probably the 28-90/2.8-3.5 Vivitar Series 1. It's lighter and narrower than the earlier 35-85/2.8 Series 1 and better made than the later 28-105 Series 1. I have also had good luck wth the earlier and larger 28-70/3.5-4.5 Tamron Adaptall II.<br>

</p>

<p>Tokina also made a 28-135/4-4.5 in its AT-X line. These don't seem to sell for the premium that the AT-X 28-85/3.5-4.5 lenses do. You will pay even more of a premium for the excellent (but somewhat fragile) Canon 28-85/4 FDn.</p>

<p>There are a number of quality zooms in this range, as have been mentioned. Your choices can be narrowed by what you plan to use the lens for and by price. My go-to walkaround lens is the Canon 35-105/3.5 two touch. As Russell noted, you can find these for a reasonable price if you look around and are patient. When I need better macro, a little wider range, or a little more speed, I reach for my Vivitar Series 1 28-105/2.8-3.8. For more speed, you can look at the Vivitar Series 1 35-85/2.8 variable focus (not a true zoom) and the Tokina AT-Xs, 24-40/2.8 and 60-120/2.8. Canon also made a 50-135/3.5 FDn, which has a good reputation but seems to be somewhat rare, so consequently, sells for more than the 35-105.</p>

<p> This is a lot of great information and I appreciate everyone's advice. I actually have the Canon NFD 35-70 3.5-4.5 and I am satisfied with it but would like the extra range of a 28M. A friend recommended I just buy a Canon 50mm 1.8 and a 28 3.5 Canon Fd and just use my Canon 70-210 F4 when I need a telephoto. This would enable me to only use Canon lens and have better low light capability, does this sound like a better alternative?</p>

<p>Vince</p>

<p>Zooms vs. primes is a personal decision, based both on how you work and what you shoot. Since you've got the 35-70, though, you can definitely improve the sharpness in your kit for not very much.</p>

<p>FD prime choices on a thin budget: 50/1.8 and 28/2.8. With patience, you can get both for a total of $50 or less.</p>

<p>FD upgrade: 50/1.4 (any version, they're all super) and 24/2.8. Like many posters on this list, I find that I reach for the 24mm more often than the 28mm. If you want a prime at the other end of this range, there are several affordable choices of the 100/2.8.</p>

<p>I, too, would recommend that you get the 24/2 prime if you want to go wide, Vince. The 35/2, 28/2, and 17/4 are also excellent, affordable FD wide angle primes. If you'd like the versatility of a wide angle zoom, the 20-35/3.5 L is a very fine lens, but it's relatively expensive compared to the primes. As far as a mid-range zoom goes, the FD 35-105/3.5 is superb, and is certainly more versatile than the third party lenses you're considering. The other notable FD zoom is the 80-200/4 L, which is a favourite on this forum and widely considered to be the finest of all the FD zooms.</p>

<p>Well, it's between the 28-85 F2.8-3.8 variable zoomwhich I can get for $40 or Ken's suggestion for the 50. F1.8 and 28 F2.8. I received the camera today in excellent plus condition, completely CLA'ed and battery modified by John Titterington. Although I generally use zooms the idea of using primes with such a classic Canon is very appealing. I might just go with the zoom and the 50. 1.8. </p>

<p>I'll give another nod to the Canon 35-105. I got mine in great shape for about $20 (shopping regularly pays). I picked up a 28/2.8 on Ebay in great shape for $12. I paid about $100 for a clean 24/2.8, and it is one of my favorites. But I find the 35-105 to be the most useful of the bunch. I generally leave it on my camera all the time, and I carry a 24 or 20 if I want a wider-angle shot.</p>

<p>In an earlier post, I wrote that the Tokina AT-X 28-135/4-4.5 didn't seem to sell for the premium that the AT-X 28-85/3.5-4.5 does. Now I find a 28-135 listed on eBay for $158, reduced from $198. So someone obviously seems to think that this lens should be worth a premium. I paid $9 for mine. In general, most of the AT-Xs can be found for a deep discount except the 28-85 and 80-200/2.8, which still seem to command higher prices.</p>

<p>Jeff has me beat, though, in getting his 35-105 FDn for $20!</p>