Zone VI Photocell & Receptacle to an Aristo VCL4500 2-tube VC head

Discussion in 'Large Format' started by lutherhert, Oct 9, 2014.

1. I just obtained an Aristo VCL4500 2-tube VC head. I have a Zone VI compensating timer and a new unused L702 Photocell & Receptacle, which is required to be installed on to the Aristo VCL4500 2-tube VC head to make it compatible with the Aristo head.
    I have instructions for attaching a Zone VI Photocell & Receptacle for a Zone VI Stabilizer Retrofit kit. However, I need the instructions for retrofitting the Zone VI Photocell & Receptacle to an Aristo VCL4500 2-tube VC head.
    Could someone provide me a schematic or some other information regarding how to accomplish this? After much reading on the Internet, I understand that I must make this modification to make the two items compatible. Your knowledge and experience is appreciated.
    Luther

2. Any luck yet, Luther?

3. Adrian,
    After learning how to install the photocell, because it came with a faulty Zone Vi Enlarger Timer, which I have to return, I no longer have the photocell. I am now looking for a photocell. Actually, I have an email into RH Designs in England to see if they can provide me with a timer that will work with both my Zone Vi Light Head and the Aristo VCL4500 head. So, I am in a holding pattern now.
    Thank you for getting back to me.
    Regards,
    Luther

4. Hello Luther,
    I think RH Designs will be able to help you out, let us know. I love their fStop timer. My VCL4500 had a plug for the photocell, which plugs into the fStop timer, I'm surprised yours didn't.

Best,
    Larry

5. Larry,
    Thank you for the response. After reading your message, I re-checked my Aristo VCL4500. They did not ship with the retro photocell. Someone prior to you probably outfitted your light with the photocell. You are fortunate. A picture of the where the photocell wires enter your light head would be helpful.
    Regards,

6. Hello Luther,

I've been meaning to open mine up because it is my understanding is that the bulb is rectangular, and that it will cover 5x7, barely, and I mean barely. Could you verify that for me? Aristo used to make an adaptor for a Durst 5x7 but those are impossible to find. I'm going to have to have something made so I can use the VCL 4500 on my Zone VI 5x7 enlarger because I shoot 5x7. Once I get it open, or someone else opens it, I'll post a picture of the location of the photocell.
    I had to change a bulb in a different 5x7 Aristo head, and I recall that the photocell goes in the middle, with the sensor facing away from the bulb, I believe. There are instructions in the manual for RHDesign's fStop timer for where to put a photocell.
    Louise Kessler at Voltarc (Louise.Kessler@voltarc.com) is a wonderful help and will sell you new bulbs for the VCL4500. She won't have the photocell though, just the bulbs.

Best,

Larry

7. Larry,
    These links will probably be very helpful. Before looking through the links, review the attached pdf
    file regarding the Aristo VCL 4500 modifications for 5x7. If you are handy with tools, this may be all you will need. Read the attachment first. Larry, I have a copy of the pdf, but I cannot locate a place to make the attachment here. The pdf is "vcl4500_adaption__to__zone_vi_5x7_enlarger_info..pdf." It should be some where on the Aristo site or it came with my Light head and I scanned it to my computer. I do not remember which. However, if I can figure out how to attach it to my messages, it solves your problem.
    Links:
    Home: http://www.light-sources.com/specialty/products/aristo

Aristo replacement lamps: http://www.light-sources.com/specialty/products/aristo-replacment-lamps

D2-HI Replacement Lamp

Aristo D2-HI Replacement Lamp for Aristo D2 and D2-HI Series cold light head for black and white photography
    Part numbers:

M2-46-510: Aristo D2-HI-LO-V54

D57 Replacement Lamp

Aristo Durst 5x7 replacement lamp:
    Part numbers:

M2-46-556 : Aristo D57-LO-V54
    http://www.light-sources.com/specialty/products/aristo-archive
    Regards,
    Luther

8. Larry,
    The information is attached. I forgot that I can only upload a file after my written message is confirmed. I hope all of this helps.
    Regards,
    Luther

9. Hello Luther,
    Yes, I have that document, now, I just need to get a bezel like that, there is nothing commercially available, as far as I know.
    Larry

10. Larry,
    That bezel will have to be hand crafted, I know of no one who has ever made one. Yours may be a first.
    Regards,
    Luther