I�m not much of a machinist, so modifying an enlarger to make it

suitable for 8 X 10 isn�t really practical. Just purchasing a ready

made setup makes more sense for me. However, there is a lot of

discussion about the V54 type of cold light from Aristo (brighter,

better for VC printing, etc.), so am I better off with an enlarger

with this type of tube. (I�ll be working with variable contrast, by

the way).

I�m just getting back into large format after a 10 year hiatus, so

please excuse a �new beginner� question.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Tommy Mitchell

There are two 8x10 heads that Zone VI makes, one for VC and one for graded papers. The former (for VC) consists of two grids, one green and one blue. These two grids give the printer a lot of latitude in controlling contrast. The latter (non VC) is a single grid that emphasizes blue, so I need to add a filter to help correct the light. Note that both of these heads are controlled through a feedback mechanism, so one can be ensured of a constant light output.

The V54 consists of a single tube with both the green and blue phosphors. I have a Zone VI 8x10 Type 2 non-VC head that I've EASILY adapted to my Type 1 enlarger. I sure wish that I could install a V54 lamp in this head, but speaking with Alan at Aristo, it's not possible. Zone VI went with a sign company somewhere back east in ordering their cold-lite lamps. One wonders why they didn't order from Aristo? That would have been a killer combination.

Tommy,

I've been quite happy with my Zone VI 8x10 VC enlarger, but have nothing to add regarding the Aristo cold light you mention.

The one thing that caught me a little by surprise, however, is difficulty in focusing. If you're going to use a grain enlarger as I do, it really takes two people, one on the controls, the other with the magnifier. The current version from Calumet comes with an extension arm that theoretically permits operation while bent over the image, but I personally have found it far easier if you're simultaneously using your left hand on the opposing focusing knob while twisting the extension arm with your right--hence the need for a second person.

The glass-less film carrier takes some getting used to as well, but so far no problems. You just have to use extra care when handling your negatives. And remember, this kit handles only 8x10 negs. If you ever want to work with 5x7s (or smaller) you'll have to acquire the 5x7 head and (of course) a shorter focal enlarging lens(es).

But, again, I've been very happy with my Zone VI and am not aware of any better equipment currently available new in this price range. Good luck.

• 8 months later...
Let me take this opportunity to correct what I said in the preceding post about the Zone VI 810 extension arm. In fact it *can* be used effectively by a single person, and easily at that. What I hadn't realized was that while two hands are needed to retract the bellows (left on control knob, right on extension arm, turning counterclockwise), the bellows is easily extended by turning the extension arm alone clockwise with one hand. So you just retract the bellows past the focus point using both hands, then you're free to focus with the extension arm alone with the right while, in my own case, dropping my eye to the grain enlarger (which I employ as "subject" enlarger). Nicholas