Zone system: Ilford Delta films true ISO & developement times

scott_e2

I will be doing zone system film testing with 120 Ilford Delta 100,

400 and 3200 film using Ilfotec DDX developer. Rather than starting

off with the manufacturer's development times and ISO settings, I am

hoping to save some time and money and would like recommendations on

ISO ratings and developement times for these films. Also, should I

consider using a different developer that would give a fine grain.

Thanks.

Any recommendations you receive will still be starting points. If you are going to be testing for the zone system anyway, you will be determing your own development times as per all the variables in your system. I would recommend a small book called The Zone VI Workshop by Fred Picker. It will easily take you through every step in a clear precise manner. Far easier then reading and understanding The Negative by Ansel.

In my opinion, you have chosen a great film and developer. Good luck with your endeavor, Art

Art's right, of course. The purpose of film testing is to come up with effective film speeds

and development times that sync with the film-developer-light meter-equipment-paper

that you are using.

DDX and Ilford Delta films are a great combination. Personally, I've found that you can get

a true speed of 400-500 out of Delta 400 with DDX. It can get a little contrasty on those

rare sunny days (if you live in Iowa, like me, or on Roger Hicks' moors). In that case,

decrease development time accordingly.

3200 is trickier. A lot of people find that the best speed is around 1600, and you may

need to increase recommended development time to get decent contrast out of it.

I'd recommend testing those two films first. Delta 400 is so fine-grained and good that

you may not find that great a need for a medium-speed film in 120. Never could warm up

to Delta 100, but that's just me.

Hope that helps a little.

D100 and 400: I'd start by shooting box speed and developing as per DDX instructions. No complaints on my side.

D3200: IMHO an excellent low contrast film, most people (including me) have resorted to develop for more time than reccomended to get some "snap".

I prefer using it as 1600 (in 35mm) but I reckon it can be pushed to 12800

• 3 months later...

Scott,<p>

As already stated you have to do your own time. I am using DDX and Delta 100 my times are

N-1 = 8 min, N = 10 min and N + 1 = 12 min. But this is with my Pentax V

Spotmeter,Omega enlarger, distilled water throughout, Multigrade developer, Ilford

Warmtone paper,my temperature etc. It is some work but it is worth it. Don't take a short cut,

because then the Zonesystem gets irrelevant.

<p>

Rudy