Zoerk Mini Makro Tube w/ Nikon lenses

wildflower art

Hi! Thanks for reading my post.

I am interested in achieving 1~3x magnifications in the field with the Nikon system. I

think Nikon makes some great and unique optics, but Canon's 65 MP-E is a real

asset for high magnification in the field, I understand. Nikon should offer a convenient

high magnification lens.

So, I am interested in the Zoerk Mini Makro tube with a 20 3.5 AIS (reversed?). It

offers 25-68 extension, so I'm looking at 1-3 x magnifications.

Has anyone tried this setup?

I understand that Nikon makes some bellows, but I think this is not an ideal field set up

(I have the PB-4 and it's so heavy and clunky, for hiking at least).

I also know about the luminars, photars, Nikon macro lenses, but these (16, 19, 22,

etc.) are designed for higher magnifications than this setup gives, and the shorter

ones (35, etc.) require extra extension.

I realize that DOF, metering, working distance, and stability will be difficult.

So, for small flowers, leaf scars, etc. does anyone else have suggestions?

What about lens choice?

Thanks

Matt

www.wildflowerartphotography.com

With the right BR ring and a double cable you can use various reversed wide angles on regular extension tubes. This is more handy if you illuminate the subject with flash. You get semi-automatic aperture control. With flash you can work hand-held and some shots will be very nice. Work at 3X should really be done with a tripod. The early 24/2.8 Nikkor was often used reversed. For work in the field the semi-automatic aperture control is useful. With a micro lens just closing down the aperture manually a little can throw off both focus and composition. You will also need a focusing rail. Any tubes should work with this set-up.

Personally, I find reversed wide angle lenses to be very disappointing at small extensions, like a Zoerk tube, or extension tube with BR-2 ring. They really only settle down and sharpen up until you hit the far end of bellows extension.

There are telescoping extension tubes for the Nikon mount, find a used Vivitar one on eBay, and then get a 63mm Luminar. That will pretty much take care of your 3:1 needs.

Good luck finding a standard retro focus 24mm lens (reverse or not reverse) giving the resolution needed for 3X magnifications. At 3:1, if you are aiming a modest 40 lpm (lines pair per mm) on the sensor side, at the image side, the lens has to resolve 120 lpm. That is a lot to ask for.

If the Canon MPE65 is not an alternative, I would consider those field macro lens that are designed for 2X magnification in mind and push it to 3X either via cropping or other means (ie: teleconverter). Olympus made a nice 80mm f4 that can go up to 2X with an custom made close up lens. Elicar also made a dental macro that goes from 1:10 to 2:1. Schnieder also made a 75mm f4.5 that is optimized for 2:1. Minolta had a 3:1 but like the Canon, you can't adapt it to other bodies.

If you must use a Zorek tube for compact and weight reason, I would consider looking for a 40mm Schnieder or Rodenstock enlarger lens (use in reverse). Those are easier to find and higher resolution wide angle enlarger lens. Use old lighweight M39 Leica tube (not the heavy nickle version) to get to the magnification you need.

Oner last option is to buy hard to find and expensive rare large format macro lens, like those you listed. One good one and inexpensive if you can find it is the Fujinon-M 38mm f5.4. It is described in the same Red Book web page as the rare Nikkors.

How well different types of macro equipment will work in the field depends on what you are shooting. Certainly some lenses are sharper than others but getting the most out of a lens requires the photographer to pay careful attention to subject movement, camera movement, keeping the important parts of the subject parallel to the film (or sensor) plane and setting up system that allows careful focusing. If these precautions are not taken then no lens, no matter how sharp, will give good results. If I use a 12.5mm f/2 or 25mm f/2.5 Minolta micro lens at a given magnification in the suitable range, I will get sharper results than with a reversed wide angle. The problem is that the micro lenses do not have auto diaphragm control so they are not terribly useful for moving subjects like small insects.

Thank you for all your thoughtful posts.

I see my set up may not be ideal.

I have a tominon 50 3.5 that came with my Polaroid MP-E. Would this be a good lens to try to adapt?

Joseph, can you give me information on the vivitar telescroping tube in Nikon mount? I've never heard of such a thing. I see Olympus mount telescoping extension tubes that would be perfect, but I don't know if I can mount these to a Nikon.

Obviously, the Zoerk's extension is insufficent for the Tominon 50.

Thank you.

Matt