ZO 100M Soviet (?) film and a plea for help

JDMvW

<p>ЦO 100M slide film from the late USSR? <br /><br />I'd ask about this in the film forums, but I have a very strong feeling that I am more likely to get a useful answer here on Classic Manual Cameras, particularly given that we have participants who were there <em>when</em> or shortly thereafter.<br /><br />Recently, on a visit to my favorite local (and only, but it would still be my favorite) camera/film store, Somebody had brought in a bunch of odds and ends. Some of it was odder than others. <br /><br />One oddity was a roll of film called ZO 100M, but in Cyrillic. I can spell out (poorly and slowly) and sort of pronounce the words but aside from things like PHOTOPLENKA (ФОТОПЛЕНКА) it's an uphill battle and the online dictionaries/translators aren't all that useful for photographic terms anyhow. <br /><br />Well it does say "PROZESS E-6" on it, so it must be color slide film, right? However, I can't see anything on the box (no doubt I am overlooking it?) that tells me much of anything else except for the 100 GOST and the ISO 100 21º. <br /><br />I can't make out the details very well on a stick-on label, even with a little enhancement; but the box looks like it may have a printed date of 89 if that is what the "П-89" means, but there is smudged purple ink on the area below the film speed that might be 7-92. It's probably fair to assume that it is out dated, eh? The fading of the ink on the box also suggests it was not made yesterday.<br /><br />So, I have been entrusted by my friends at the store with this precious film. I thought about shooting it in a FED or KIEV, but in the end I have loaded it into a Zenit ET.<br /><br />I will, if anything comes out when it's processed (or even if it doesn't), be posting on this combination; but in the meantime, can anyone tell me anything at all about this film?<br /><br />I'm hoping one of our ex-Soviet participants can help me out here, but anyone's contribution is fully welcome.</p>

<p>Here is the box</p><div>00WzWJ-265684584.jpg.11ebe65e6a9ca84b349bc93fcd7f2d17.jpg</div>

<p>Well that is a color slide film for day light with ISO or GOST 100 unit made by Kazan production facility TASMA. You can see the bigger box on the upper flap with ISO 100 and and smaller one with DIN 21 degree, they missed DIN indication. I think that 21o suppose to mean DIN by default. It also indicates to have 24 exp in the roll. That is wired since standard film length in USSR was 36 exp. Must be a Perestroyka product. The expiration date is washed away. Honestly, I have never seen E-6 processed slide film made by TASMA, should do a bit more research. My father used to use ORWO slides. But those were not E6 process films. I am pretty much sure about it. So TASMA slide film may be re-branded something.</p>

<p>The various text on the box says:</p>

<p>"TsO 100M Colour reversal film"</p>

<p>[Name of Manufacturer:] "Kazintekhproekt PO "Tasma"</p>

<p>"For colour slides"</p>

<p>"24 frames"</p>

<p>"Sensitivity 100 ISO/GOST"</p>

<p>"E6 process"</p>

<p>"For daylight (colour balance)"</p>

<p>"Batch No.: [left blank or faded]<br>

Develop before: [left blank or faded]<br>

Price: [left blank or faded]"</p>

<p>"Open and process in darkness"</p>

<p>The "TU 6-44-959. P-89" looks like a product serial number.</p>

<p>There are also faded letters "os' 49" printed on stick on label on the flap just under the "24 frames". Not clear what those letters/numbers refer to.</p>

<p>In total, not a lot of help.</p>

<p>КНТФП is an abbreviation for<br>

"<strong>К</strong>аз<strong>н</strong>ии<strong>т</strong>ех<strong>ф</strong>ото<strong>п</strong>роект" most likely would be translated as<br>

Research Institute for Technical Photographic Projects in Kazan of TASMA Holding Group.<br>

ТУ 6-44-959 П-89 indicates that this film is made by according certain technical conditions and corresponds to certain technical standards. Numbers are product code.</p>

<p>So most likely that is not rebranded film.</p>

<p>OOPS<br>

I see, sneaky Kazan manufacturers they are indeed, the sticker with 24 exp is right over red bold 36 exp inscription. Those 36 exp are quite transparent. That is definitely Perestroyka time product when hyperinflation started they cut the film length. Must be made around 1990. Last days of the USSR. </p>

<p>Actually the "210" or rather "21°" refers to the film speed measured according to DIN (german standard).<br>

Since there is no reasonable unit for measuring film speed, in older days it was indicated in "degrees". There were quite a few different methods to determine film speed, one of the most popular in Germany was the Scheiner method, giving a result in "Scheiner degrees". When the DIN method was introduced, film speed was indicated iin "deg DIN" or "xx ° DIN". However, the (virtual) unit "degree" when indicating film speed was abandoned long ago, I have not seen this for many many years now.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The film, though clearly outdated, is recent enough that the GOST speed is the newer GOST system that is essentially the same as the old ASA.</p>

<p>As for the film speed following the "ISO" (note, in <em>Roman</em> characters), it is my understanding that in the great "compromise" that made it ISO instead of ASA or DIN, the solution was simply to use both, so that this film's actual speed is neither the ASA nor the DIN number, but <strong>both</strong> together so: 100 21º.</p>

<p>Of course, while this may have eased national prejudice, the truth is that hardly anybody seems ever to use the old DIN number (unless maybe their camera has only DIN?, is there such a thing?).</p>

<p>In any case, the box is a great display item for one's FSU camera collection. The pic can also be scaled and printed, then glued to light cardboard cut and folded to repro the box. I have done this with an old SuperXX box for my WWII GI issue Kodak 35 kit. </p>

<p>Roger, you're right. I have made up some ORWO NP22, etc. boxes in just the fashion you've suggested.</p>

<p>The long dimension of the box, for scale, folded is close to 58mm. It's essentially the same as a US or Japanese film box for 35mm and that could be used for backing.</p>

<p>The people who gave me the film to shoot are the people who will be doing the processing. And it clearly says E-6 on the box, as you can see above.</p>

<p>Just the one box, alas.</p>

<p>It's not faking, it's setting context. :)</p>

<p>Update.</p>

<p>I would have had the film today, but my donor/processor has had to order new E-6 chemistry and it has been delayed in shipment by the early August holidays (it's National Clown Week) or something. I'll do a new thread on the combination of a Zenit ET, a pre-set Helios 44 and ZO (TsO) 100 film--but I'll post a link here.</p>

<p>Also I forgot to reset the completely manual frame counter on the Zenit, and tore the film loose from the spool (it didn't take much, probably the tape was old).</p>

<p>Still later.</p>

<p>Well, I got out my bag of dark and after a false start or two managed to get the film out of the camera and into a old Tri-X cassette (It's a darn good thing they know me there or it would be tough...).</p>

<p>No the chemistry had not yet arrived - next week I guess.</p>

<p>As I surmised, the tape that held the film onto the original spool was pretty like, well, 15-year old cellophane tape, which is what it was. No sticky left to it at all. I may not have pulled if off with the shutter wind, it might have happened after I started to rewind. In any case, the cassette was lovely all black metal with slide off caps on both ends. Not a bad reusable cassette when all is said and done.</p>

<p>It was marked with a Krasnogorsk-like lens/light ray logo, then the letters<br /> KACCETA<br /> ТИПА 135М<br /> that is, "cassette type 135M" (see how my Russian has improved) I think. ;)</p><div>00X1Lx-266827584.jpg.ff79c47cec3a52948de987131a384b73.jpg</div>