Zion National Park

Larry_G1664882113

<p>My wife and I will be on a one week vacation; 3 nights in Death Valley National Park, one night at Valley of Fire State Park, NV, and one night at Zion, and 2 nights in Las Vegas. Given that we'll only be at Zion one night, I'd appreciate your views on making the best of that Zion time, image-wise. Some images will be taken mid-day, with the possibility of one sunset and one sunrise/early AM shooting. Thanks for your suggestions and/or sample images. Larry</p>

<p>There are two spots which might work for you. The first one I've forgotten the name of, but it is probably the most visited and starts right outside the lodge/ranger station, winds up the cliffs and at its peak you can see down the valley and entrance (ist picture). The 2nd is my favorite, takes several hours to climb up, and ends up at Angels" Landing (right opposite and across from the first. This climb is a bit more challenging, and if you are afraid of heights, well, don't do this one (2nd picture, and the jutting outcrop on the 1st picture).</p><div>00bIOl-516941584.thumb.jpg.2c0e06f7f95b43adc270cfb9d54f2d45.jpg</div>

<p>I'm not sure I'd take up most of a single day in Zion hiking up to Angel's Landing, but thats just my priorities at work. Do you know whether you're going to be there inside or outside the shuttle bus season (April -October as far as I know).</p>

<p>Dawn can be done from the back of the old Visitor centre- view across to the Towers of the Virgin- or for a different view of the same subject drive up to the switchbacks leading from the bridge on Route 9 where it crosses the Virgin River, then leaves it behind as it winds up to the plateau part of the park in the east. There's places to stop on the switchbacks Sunset is often done from the aforementioned bridge with the sun (hopefully) striking the western flank of the Watchman mountain to the south, looking downstream. I wouldn't expect to be alone at any of these locations, but you can do them all from your car IIRC without needing the shuttle. As an alternative, Christopher Burkett has perhaps the nicest Zion landscape I've seen on his site at <a href="http://www.christopherburkett.com">www.christopherburkett.com</a> - navigate to the image titled "Twilight, Virgin River and Zion Canyon" which I believe to be taken near a big curve in the road not far from the northern end of the paved Canyon</p>

<p>In daytime you have choices. Either the Canyon itself (via shuttle spring-autumn) which encompasses some famous spots , though to me they're 7 out of 10 locations not 10 out of 10 unless you have unusual atmospherics or great fall colour (November) . You can incorporate short walks to the Emerald Pools or upstream along the river to the start of the Narrows. You'll get photographs on either. </p>

<p>Alternatively take route 9 up to the Plateau. No shuttle-buses there, and whilst the scenery is different ( more bare and rocky, less trees) there is possibly more chance of getting photographs that don't replicate the postcards. Some nice colours and textures there. </p>

<p>Angel's Landing is not for the tenderfoot - it's a serious climb. Depending on whether the shuttles are running when you visit, you'll either get off the shuttle or drive to and park at the Grotto. From there, the trail will cross the river and take you up the switchbacks and onto the peak - a 2.4 mile hike with an elevation gain of about 1500 feet. That's an average 20% grade for the whole 2.4 miles. I'm partially disabled and have never been able to get all the way up - I will try again this spring. If you are an experienced hiker and the thinner air at 4-5000 ft won't be an issue, then you should have no problems.</p>

<p>A good sunrise location is the Towers of the Virgin, immediately behind the Human History Museum, which is about 1/2 mile inside the park from the entrance station. It's an east-facing wall with the right colors to give you great tones at sunrise. </p>

<p>Midday is, of course, a lighting problem. If you don't mind getting your feet wet (really wet, i.e., standing in the river), the Narrows is so narrow that lighting on the vertical walls and down at river level even at midday is very interesting. A full hike of the Narrows is a major undertaking, but getting into the river at the start of the narrows and walking into the canyon a little means ankle deep water. You didn't say when you plan to go, but the water in the Virgin River is cold even in July, which would be a factor in MY decision!</p>

<p>The Emerald Pools are far enough back into the western wall of the canyon with lots of trees to offer some midday shooting as well. It's an easy hike on paved paths.</p>

<p>Early and late in the day look for deer near the Zion Lodge and in the area from the Canyon Junction down to the Visitor Center at the entrance.</p>

<p>I think Stephen's first photo is from the summit of Observation Point. My wife and I did this hike while we were at Zion last summer. It's a wonderful hike, but as I recall it was ~8 miles round trip and included a climb of about 2000 ft elevation. Take the shuttle to the weeping wall (?) stop (one or two stops past the lodge), and then start climbing (don't forget your water). There are some fabulous canyons and views along the way.</p>

<p>Hi Larry,<br>

I went on a photo workshop to Zion in the fall of 2011....beautiful place! If you only have one night there, I'd suggest shooting the Court of the Patriarchs for post sunrise (1st photo). The peaks light up and it sometimes looks like they're on fire. I believe the park bus stops there; you'll need to go online to view their schedule. You can drive there in the fall/winter months. The typical scene there is with the water in the foreground. Once you've got that shot, walk around to the left, through some trees and you'll come to a bridge and rocks which also offer nice compositions (2nd photo). <br>

For late afternoon/sunset, head to the Canyon Bridge and shoot The Watchman over the Virgin River. It's near the entrance to the park and I don't believe to need to take the bus to this spot. You will see lots of vertical shots online, but I liked horizontal here better. Often the peaks light up before sunset. I arrived early for the workshop and shot it with clouds rolling in....no light on the peaks, but I liked the weather (3rd photo). There are often photographers lined up elbow to elbow on the bridge, so don't show up too late to stake your spot.<br>

By the way, I also took a workshop in Death Valley....really a weird, wonderful landscape.<br>

I'll now try to post the photos, and hope it works :) </p>

<p> </p><div>00bIiy-517221584.thumb.jpg.45062fe115c8d82504b0805a7e577aa8.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...