Zion National Park

randall_pukalo

Zion ? Vegas is about 160 miles / 260km. Assuming you have a full day?its reasonable. Advice: unless an obligation precludes doing so, I suggest driving up the night before your full day and spending the night in Springdale (Desert Pearl Inn ? very reasonable and nice). This is certainly not the kind of outing where you want to feel 'rushed'. The Canyon is open to private vehicular traffic in March. Not so April - October when the well-run shuttle service is operating.

The canyon proper is oriented NNE - SSW, which allows for optimal lighting at either end of the day and potentially very good (perhaps harsh?) lighting mid-day. You'll find a fair bit of info by doing a search of past postings.

Areas of interest ? sunrise/morning (highly rated): The Streaked Wall, Court of the Patriarchs. Also see Checkerboard Mesa. A Google image search will give a primer.

Do a search on "Zion" & you'll find lots of helpful info. I would suggest that if all possible you not limit yourself to only 1 day. Many of the wonderful shots you could take will require several hours of hiking to reach and return from.<div>00JkL6-34700984.jpg.3f8849c436bdb6cd1e1e640eb9f86913.jpg</div>

If you are staying on the strip, plan on a 3+ hour trip to Zion. If you are staying out away from the strip, you can reduce that by half an hour. I live on the northwest side of the city and can be in Zion Canyon in 2 1/2 hours from my house.

But going up the night before is a great recommendation. There are lots of nice places in Springdale, and reservations should be readily available in March. There's no substitute if you want sunrise photos.

Where to shoot - everyone has their favorites, and there are too many to mention. I suggest you Google "Zion photo" and look at what others have done. The Park service web site has links to some good maps that will allow you to see the locations people give for their photos and make you own plans for your time.

Have a great time.