Zig instead of zag (the Nikkor 28-70mm ED IF AFS)

shoots

After many days and weeks of trying to decide if I would benefit from the purchase of

a Nikkor 28-70 ED IF AFS, I decided not to get it. I have an 80-200mm AFS, 85mm-

1.4, 18-35mm 3.5..., 20mm-2.8 (which I like very much) and a 28-105mm with

macro. This last lens has become that lens that is consistently attached to my F100

and I consider it to be my do all lens. It may not deliver the impact the 80-200 or 85-

1.4 can but it does do more tricks. I am not kidding myself in that I know the 28-70

would deliver that sweetness the 28-105 does not. I know this because after working

with the high end zooms and primes I can see a difference. I am just wondering if I

made the right decision? I am now in the portrait/people stage of photography. I'm

just not sure if this lens would open my level of experience up any more. Have any of

you gone down this same path and maybe taken a different route?

Hi Troy

The 28-70 f/2.8 AFS is a great lens, certainly the quality of the 85mmf/1.4. I've owned many Nikon pro grade lens and the Canon L series, and I can tell you the 28-70 f/2.8 AFS is as good as any ~ Prime or zoom. I also like the 20-35 f/2.8 with the hand ground aspherical elments, other than the nasty hood Nikon put on them.

Maybe a good idea is to wait and see the new Nikon 20-120 VR AFS. It sounds like a great lens also, but it will have to go some to beat the quality of the 28-70. It's just one fine piece of glass.

Just an opinion

Happy Shooting

Rob

"Life is just a series of photographs"

I was considering it. I ended up with a rangefinder system and 35, 50, and 85mm lenses (all for less than the price of the 28-70). I've started to use my SLRs only when I want to use long telephotos, do macro work, or frame very precisely. If you're into candid people shots, rangefinders are a lot of fun -- pretty liberating, really. Just something to think about.

Well, since you said you are into people and portrait, you already have the lenses that you need. I find 28-70 too short for portraits of single persons, and too large for people photography on the street. I was into people/portrait before, but I took the cheaper route with the 35-70 f/2.8. In the end, for portraits, I found I was going for my 85mm and 105mm more often (and 80-200 when it was already attached), while for street people shots I used my 28mm. Of course, for groups of people who are posed, then I used my 35-70 which would be what the 28-70 might do for you.

In the end it all comes down to the decision to spend extra cash for the convenience/quality/speed.

If I was in your position deciding to buy the 28-70, I would ask myself if I was going to print larger than 5x8". If I was then I would get it. Otherwise, I would stick to the 28-105.

Regards,

Aaron

This is a great lens. It is heavy though. I personally found I did not use it much because of its weight and sold it. But if you are comfortable with the weight and the price there is no reason not to buy it. From your posting I have the sense that you really do want it in your aresenal. Happy shooting!

"<i>I'm just not sure if this lens would open my level of experience up any more.</i>" - Troy Kilgore<P>I really doubt that. But since you find yourself using the 28-105 most of the time, it might be a good choice for your primary lens. Ask yourself how much you will miss the 70-105 range. You can easily test the focal length range out by going out to shoot and not zooming past 70. Also, do you often shoot wide open, or do you usually stop down? If you find yourself shooting wide open a lot, I think the purchase will be more worthwhile and useful to you.

If you buy the AF-S 28~70/2.8D you should keep the AF 28~105/3.5~4.5D because there will be times when you want less weight and want to carry a less expensive system, e.g. casual travel photography, parties, amusement parks with friends, family candids, etc. Add a AF 50/1.8D or 1.4D to the 28~105 and you have a very capable, light system.

Only you can decide if you want to pay for the extra speed and quality of the AF-S lens. Don�t expect a lens to make you a better photographer. It�s a tool. It will give you new options. I have both an AF 35~70/2.8D and a 28~105, can�t afford the AF-S. I value the wider aperture.

Regards,

The 28-70 AF-S is an exceptional lens in terms of color and contrast. I had a Tamron 28-105 F2.8 and once I tested it side-by-side with the 28-70 AF-S, I sold the Tamron. The 28-70 AF-S has the image "pop" that only a few of the best lenses have. You need to balance convenience against optical quality.