ZF 28mm/2 vs 35mm/2 vs Nikkor 35mm/1.4 AIS (current)

arthuryeo

Any ideas how these compare with each other? I know the AIS one is a little

dated and CA may be an issue but what about the rest of its performance in

terms of resolution and contrast?

Photozone seemed to think the ZFs are higher res than the comparable Nikkors

but the sample images I saw seemed to be pretty muted in terms of contrast.

I can hardly find any images from the ZF 28mm/2. On the Zeiss website, they

talked so much about low-light performance and how good it is for

photojournalists but their sample image is a landscape shot, probably at f8. :)

I am looking for a close range wide open image that show how its FLE performs.

The Zeiss 35MM set at F2 will almost certainly win out over the Nikkor 35MM F1.4 @ F2. Also the color and micro-contrast will be better on the Zeiss. The Nikkor is a great lens (I've used both), but the Zeiss is a more modern design with better coatings.

Stopped down to F5.6, I doubt you'll be able to tell the two lenses apart, except for color rendition.

Agree the 28MM F2AIS should be mentioned here as well. The initial review I saw on the Zeiss 28MM is that its excellent, maybe even better than the 35MM.

<i>You have to be joking the 35f1.4 Nikkor is a legendary lens that is in a different league</i>

<p>So is this based on actual tests or just hearsay?

<p>The ZF 35 mm is tested on Photozone, along with the Nikkor 35/2 AF-D. Otherwise pretty equal, except that the ZF has much higher resolution on large apertures. I would guess that at some point, they get to test a ZF 28/2.

• 4 years later...

<p>Proof is in the pudding, Nikkor 35mm 1.4 at 1.4</p>

<p><a title="nikon nikkor 35mm 1.4 at 1.4 D3 Runner past fallen tree by Rafael CA, on Flickr" href=" nikon nikkor 35mm 1.4 at 1.4 D3 Runner past fallen tree src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8221/8312065629_34f5a43fb7_b.jpg" alt="nikon nikkor 35mm 1.4 at 1.4 D3 Runner past fallen tree" width="1024" height="681" /></a> and closed down <a title="Nikon Nikkor 35mm 1.4 ais D800 at 5.6 San Luis Rey mission 4 corvette red by Rafael CA, on Flickr" href=" Nikon Nikkor 35mm 1.4 ais D800 at 5.6 San Luis Rey mission 4 corvette red src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7127/7429446520_3e694b7903_b.jpg" alt="Nikon Nikkor 35mm 1.4 ais D800 at 5.6 San Luis Rey mission 4 corvette red" width="1024" height="683" /></a></p>