Zenit3M

<p>I got this old Zenit3M camera recently without a lense - and was wondering if anyone knows anything about this camera. I'm wondering too, I can see that the mirror isn't down, like it should be. Does this mean I have just a paper weight? What type of lens does it take. Are they hard to use?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance<br>

PJ</p>

<p>Hi PJ, the Zenit 3M is a wonderful 35mm SLR. The mirror being up is by design, this camera does not have an instant return mirror, you will need to wind first, and then the mirror comes down, ready to compose your picture. When you trip the shutter then, the mirror flips up again, and so on. This lens take M39 screw mount lenses, same thread as leica screw mount, but leica lenses will not be compatible with it, as the lens register is different. The standard lens you are looking for is an Industar-50 f/3.5, a tessar copy. It is a great little lens and there plenty of them on eBay.<br>

One more thing, as leicas and other Russian cameras of this period, you will need to wind the camera first, and then change the shutter speed wheel to the desired setting, by lifting it and assigning correct value. Setting the shutter speed before winding the film advance lever, can damage the shutter mechanism. Good luck and go and take some pictures.</p>

<p>Many of the Zenit (Zenith) cameras are M42 mount, but I think that this one may be M39 - a Leica-like mount, but sometimes in 39mm x 1mm pitch.<br /> I think the most common lens for it was an Industar 50mm f/3.5, as Rolf says.</p>

<p>Google™ for (Zenith,Zenit) +3M and you'll find lots of discussion of the camera.</p>

<p>Zenit 3M comes either two standard lenses Industar 50 or Helios 44. They are M39. Optics of that type used to be cheap but not anymore. Some people considered them better than M42 analogues and deprived the stock inflated the price. Otherwise Z-3M is outdated but fine example of the photohistory</p>

<p>I don't know what kind of automatic aperture mechanism, if any, this camera has, but I think one way to get an M39 Soviet stop-down lens might be to just go ahead and get one of the later, and fairly cheap, FED cameras with a lens, and use its lens for both bodies. Many of these have Industar lenses.</p>

<p>The Industar is a Tessar copy. If you can find one, a Helios may be a better lens- a copy of the 58mm f/2 Biotar, one of the all-time classic lenses. I personally have not yet seen one in M39, but they do exist.</p>

<p>JDM,<br>

Those are two different lenses M39 for Zenit has something like 45 mm of the working distance and M39 for FED is 28.8 mm. The lens construction is also different. They would fit but work as macro lenses. M39 for Zenit 3M also does not have any automatic aperture. Industar for early Zenits are I-50. For M42 zenits its I-50-2</p>

Can anybody reassure the or define the difference so the the OP can recognize the Zenith 3M (SLR lenses ) from the RF

type? I suspect sellers often don't know or identify them properly. I guess having them in my hand and knowing there'S a difference I might be able to see something's not right but looking at an auction?!?

<p>The difference of M39 rangefinder and slr mounts can be seen here: This is a rangefinder mount Industar-50 lens. It can be turned into SLR lens by removing the "lens register adapter" and a rangefinder coupling ring. So if you buy this lens you also get a gratis macro ring...</p><div>00XgDL-302015584.thumb.jpg.2774daa2df8228e5a12f943ebd29981b.jpg</div>

<p>In a standard lens, you only have three choices; the Industar 50, the Helios 44 or the rigid Industar 22 which was standard on the even older, original Zenit; a more primitive version of the I-50. I have this one, and have recently got a Helios 44 (on a 3M). I prefer the I22 for being 50 rather than 58 mm, and for being small, but it is f/3.5, so I use fast film a lot. Also, the preset aperture control on the Helios is handy.</p>

<p>This site by Nathan Dayton shows (small) pictures of the lenses.<br>

http://www.commiecameras.com/sov/35mmsinglelensreflexcameras/lenses/index.htm<br>

Click on M39 on the left, and look at the difference in size between the Helios and either of the Industars.<br>

The RF lenses are here:<br>

http://www.commiecameras.com/sov/35mmrangefindercameras/lenses/index.htm<br>

and click 'M39 Leica' on the left. There are RF versions of the Industar 50 and the 22, but they're much longer than the SLR versions. Most I22s are collapsible, and look completely different.<br>

If you get a good photo of the back of the lens in an auction listing, you should also be able to see if there's a RF cam ring sticking out around the lens, just inside the mounting thread. If the listing photos are that good though, the seller probably cares enough to describe the thing properly. I have seen M39 stuff listed as M42 before.<br>

Consider getting one from a dealer, though it will probably cost you more. I got my Zenit from Fedka in New York (fedka.com; I have no connection, etc.). He has a Helios 44 listed for 55 USD.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Zenit 3M is a capable camera and IMO the last elegant Zenit camera. The old fashion shutter does not allow instant return but it is not a big deal. At least you know if the shutter is cocked or not! And it is much quieter and less prone to vibrations than many other shutter designs even if the shutter release is a bit crude.<br>

The viewfinder is the major default as it shows only 80% of the picture. Frame tight... <br>

As a standard lens, I would favor the Helios 44 as it is much faster than the Industar-50 (don't forget you don't have slow speeds...) and is preset diaphragm mechanism, not the latest technology but way better than the manual diaphragm of the Industar-50.</p>

<p>Enjoy it as I do!</p>