Zenit 122s light meter

I have a Zenit 122s 'Fotosnaiper' that I got maybe 15 years ago. I never used it, but I've recently uncovered it. I put in some batteries and had a look. The lens is a 300 mm f4.5, and there's a cable that goes into a receptacle on the left-side bottom. I set the shutter speed to 60 and the aperture to 4.5 and aimed the camera around while holding the shutter release button. Only the bottom red LED lit. Fiddling a bit, I got the top red LED to light. And then I got the green middle light to light. But that was a freak occurrence. No matter what aperture/shutter speed/light combination I use, for example, f4.5 at 1/60, aiming at the bright sky, only the bottom red (underexposure) LED lights. I have a vague recollection that this happened over a decade ago, and that's why I never tried to use the camera.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is the meter just junk?

I've used a couple of Zenit 122 cameras, and never had any issues with the meters. It's possible that the contacts under the film speed dial and/or shutter speed dial may need to be cleaned with a bit of contact cleaner (you might notice the LEDs flickering or behaving erratically in this case). Fortunately, it's quite easy to remove the top cover on this camera. Of course, ensure that you are using fresh 386 batteries (alkalines are fine) and that the battery compartment is clean and the cap is tight.

If the film speed dial has ever come loose and not been returned to its proper position, then you might not get a correct exposure indication when you would expect it to. Also, the meter can be calibrated if necessary by removing a small access screw on the front of the camera.

Edited by m42dave

Are there instructions online that show how to do it?

No, not that I know of, but I might still have some pictures. Send me a PM if you want and I can try to help when I get some more time. There is also a Yahoo Zenit Camera Group that may have more information: Yahoo! Groups

Before getting into any disassembly, first try pressing down on the film speed dial and turning it while observing the LEDs. It could just be loose and not making good contact. Check for loose screws on the side and top of the dial.

I haven't had time to return to the camera yet, but something occurred to me. I should have posted that I have a Zenit 122s Fotosnaiper with a 300 mm lens. I read somewhere (I can't find it now) that the aperture on the lens needs to be 'cocked', and that there is a release lever on the bottom. (Again, I haven't looked for the lever and I'm short on time.) It has to do with the aperture ring. I did notice when I was playing with it, that there is spring tension. Since I did get the green correct-exposure LED and the red overexposure LED a couple of times, could it just be that I don't know what I'm doing and the camera itself is OK? I'm completely unfamiliar with this camera and lens.

Wait, I found it.

There’s a cable that connects the 300mm lens with the metering unit to provide open aperture TTL metering with the long lens. No other lens has this connection however. As with previous Zenits, there’s no automatic diaphragm control so the 300mm lens has a rather awkward solution to the problem of needing to take one hand off the ‘rifle’ in order to open and close the aperture manually. It has a spring loaded ring on the lens barrel which you ‘cock’ to hold it wide open for focussing and which can be released by a small lever underneath the lens. This stops the aperture down to whatever you had previously selected via the usual lens ring.

Gordon, you could be correct about the aperture operation, and since you've seen the LEDs work, I doubt that is the problem. The pictures I have seen of the 122s show the camera having automatic diaphragm control, however.

Here's a manual for a slightly earlier version of the Photosniper. The operation should be more or less the same.

ACP - FS-12 manual

Edited by m42dave

Ok, the Fotosniper version of the 122 is a little different. as hinted above, it has open-aperture metering, via the little cable that connects to the bottom of the camera.

However, you need to cock the aperture mechanism in the lens before each shot, you do this by turning the large spring loaded ring with a knob on until it locks into place with a clunk. Metering is wide open. When you pull the trigger, first the aperture 'fires', stopping down to the preset value, then further pressure fires the camera.

Click (trigger) - shlonk (aperture) - flak (mirror) - swosh (shutter)

Then you need to wind the camera AND recock the lens.

It is neither quiet nor subtle...

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't had time to return to the Zenit. My wife decided she wants to empty her storage unit, so I've been building a shed. (Well, I've been building the elevated deck for it. I'll put a canopy shed on it when it's finished. Maybe I'll frame it in a few years.)

Here's a manual for a slightly earlier version of the Photosniper. The operation should be more or less the same.

ACP - FS-12 manual

I couldn't read much of the manual. Thank you, though. I've bookmarked a page that has a transcription of the manual on my computer at home.

Ok, the Fotosniper version of the 122 is a little different. as hinted above, it has open-aperture metering, via the little cable that connects to the bottom of the camera.

However, you need to cock the aperture mechanism in the lens before each shot, you do this by turning the large spring loaded ring with a knob on until it locks into place with a clunk. Metering is wide open. When you pull the trigger, first the aperture 'fires', stopping down to the preset value, then further pressure fires the camera.

Click (trigger) - shlonk (aperture) - flak (mirror) - swosh (shutter)

Then you need to wind the camera AND recock the lens.

It is neither quiet nor subtle...

I'll try those suggestions when I have a chance. Thanks!

I couldn't read much of the manual. Thank you, though. I've bookmarked a page that has a transcription of the manual on my computer at home.

In addition to Steve's suggestions with the 300mm lens, you might also try another screw-mount lens (like a standard lens) and see if the meter works in stopped-down mode. If not, then you may have an issue with the meter as mentioned earlier. Good luck!

In addition to Steve's suggestions with the 300mm lens, you might also try another screw-mount lens (like a standard lens) and see if the meter works in stopped-down mode. If not, then you may have an issue with the meter as mentioned earlier. Good luck!

As it happens, I'm getting a Pentax SV in a couple of weeks. I believe the lens will work on the Zenit. (Say, is the Pentax an

Ess-Five', or an 'Ess-Vee'?)

I believe the lens will work on the Zenit.

The Pentax lenses should work fine, but don't use the SMC or Super-Multi-Coated versions. They have a tiny pin on the mount (interlock pin for the auto/manual switch) that can get caught in the lens mount screw holes on the Zenit bodies. There are also a few later Super-Takumar (non-SMC) lenses with this extra pin as well, though they are rare.

The auto/manual switch is on the lens, of course. :)

I only mentioned that in case your SV came with one of the later lenses. Before I knew better, I got a Super-Mult-Coated Takumar 85/1.8 stuck on a Zenit TTL body, and it took half an hour of gentle wiggling and fiddling for it to come off. Not recommended!

Edited by m42dave

The Pentax lenses should work fine, but don't use the SMC or Super-Multi-Coated versions. They have a tiny pin on the mount (interlock pin for the auto/manual switch) that can get caught in the lens mount screw holes on the Zenit bodies. There are also a few later Super-Takumar (non-SMC) lenses with this extra pin as well, though they are rare.

Last night I had two minutes to see if cocking the lens is the solution to the always-underexposed meter reading. I got no reading at all. I should remember to remove the battery, as I don't see an Off switch.

Anyway, I got the Pentax SV today and I thought I'd put the lens on the Zenit to try the meter that way. It's an SMC lens with a pin. :(

Anyway, I got the Pentax SV today and I thought I'd put the lens on the Zenit to try the meter that way. It's an SMC lens with a pin. :(

Sorry to hear that. Even without a lens, you can still check that the meter LEDs are working (though not meter accuracy). Depress the shutter release button halfway to activate the meter, point the camera at bright light, then at a dark area, or put your hand in front of the camera. Try ASA 100 and 1/125 sec. first. If no change, then try different ASA/shutter speed combinations. There are one or two Zenits (such as the Automat) that require winding the film advance lever first to turn on the meter. The 122 shouldn't, unless the Photosniper version is different.

There is no on/off switch otherwise, though you can turn the shutter release button to lock it, thus preventing accidental battery drain.

Edited by m42dave

you can turn the shutter release button to lock it, thus preventing accidental battery drain.

Correction: pressing the shutter release down and turning it locks the release button for use with the self-timer. I was thinking of another camera.

Sounds promising. If the meter is a bit jumpy, sometimes turning the film speed and shutter speed dials back and forth a number of times is enough to clean the contacts.

The 122 is designed for 386 batteries--same voltage as the LR44 but a bit thinner.