Zeiss ZM 21mm - not at all that bad.

<p>

After a couple of weeks using the Zeiss ZM 21, I have to say I'm very happy with it's

performance. It's great fun have a 21 again after gap of a few years.

</p>

<p>

The resistance to reflections seems to be better than the Leica 21 ASPH : that and flare

only just show up in backlit shadow zone.

</p>

<p>

Sharpness is beyond any film I have used so far and contrast seems to hold up well into

the corners.

</p>

<p>

I've added a few examples to my <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-

photos?user_id=591130"> gallery </a>

</p>

<p>

BTW. The Zeiss OVF is also extremely impressive - all metal plus great geometry and

sharpness ( except a little CA in the corners )

</p><div>00FYPj-28652884.jpg.d2d909eac70157d7ef62605c1df167dd.jpg</div>

Robert, the Dec/Jan issue of LFI has a article describing the 21mm, 24mm & 28 Elmarit Asph. I have the 24mm Elmarit Asph and I believe the 21mm has similar fingerprints. It's an ultra-corrected lens but the price is steep unless you can find a used one.

Yes Arthur I also am familiar with the 24mm Elmarit "fingerprint", I sold mine with the intention of getting the 21mm Elmarit....but the ZM lens sure has my attention. I sold the 24mm because I often found it to be a bit short for my purposes, I really enjoy 21mm or greater.

The color shots are great as I would expect from Zeiss.

Something is very wrong with the train station black and white and to a lesser degree the power station. The film appears fogged or lacking contrast or something. Maybe its the scanner.

It is wonderful now that we have a reasonable cost alturnative to Leica glass. I have used Zeiss on a Hassy and my little Rollie 35 Tessar. Nothing to complain about there. I also have 12,15, and 25 CV lenses. The 25 gets carried daily because it is nice and small and the 21 and 28 Leica glass hasn`t been used in years.

I don`t mind a premium price for premium glass, but Leica has simply gotten out of hand. Glad I got mine when I did as I would not spend that much now. My 21 was $650 new, 90 pre asph around $500, the 28 maybe $550. Why should prices be up by a factor of 6? Good thing this stuff is made to last a lifetime.

<p>

Arthur, The Museum shot printed out near to grain free at A3 ( 12" x 16" ) and would go

up to

16"x20" size if I traditionally printed it. I used to do that from Tech Pan and the Leica 21s'.

Digitally I'm also limited to what's possible with a 4000dpi scanner.

</p><p>If large prints are what your after, rather than a compact M system, that SWC

your thinking about will always win as grain and dust are less magnified.

<p>

On the other hand, the 21mm in 35mm with 3:2 aspect ratio would crop to give you close

to the 38mm in 6x6 but with a large degree of front shift for perspective correction.

</p>

<p>

Robert, I just took the Leica 21 ASPH at face value, as the best available, and never really

did any aggressive testing. It was however a step better than the 21mm E60 I had before.

Now with the Zeiss lens being so good, it's not really possible to justify the close to double

cost of the Leica 21mm ASPH anymore. </p>

<p>

Ronald, The Museum Hall is roof lit with all white walls and floor - so trying to fit the

tone range to a screen does not give such a good visualisation ( it looks ok on my mac,

but the PC at work makes it a bit flat ). The <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/

photo?photo_id=4197279&size=lg">super-large version </a>fills screen with less fine

detail turning grey and so looks better</p>

<p>

The straight print also looks a lot better, but I acknowledge what your saying and, it could

do with some masking to give better contrast. For the gallery I was more interested in

showing the good resolution and geometry.

</p>