Zeiss ZF.2 lenses .... exposure compatibility questions

john_c.3

<p>I've searched the archives, as well as Zeiss's web site, and can't find answers to these specific questions, so your expertise is appreciated.<br>

1. With a ZF.2 lens mounted on a Nikon FM3a, can the camera's aperture-priority mode (with stepless electronic shutter) be used ?<br>

2. With a ZF.2 lens mounted on a Nikon F6, is the camera's matrix-metering system operable ? What exposure modes (i.e., aperture-priority, shutter-priority, program) are usable ?<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Read <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/0911/09111602carlzeisszf2.asp">this page</a> for answers to most of your questions. It seems pretty clear that the ZF.2 lenses support all Nikon F-mount SLRs going all the way back to the original F, in all shooting modes. I'm not sure about matrix metering (the press release doesn't specifically mention it), but I would guess that the electronic interface provides support for that too.</p>

<p><em>"support all important modes</em>" - not enough, or "<em>all shooting modes</em>" - is just not correct.<br>

For what is important for Joe, may not be important for Jim, etc. </p>

<p>For 3-D Focus tracking, the iTTL/BL, matrix metering, and few other options, including some options in the Nikon software, the accurate and precise focus distance information is needed from the lens, as provided by the latest Nikkor lenses and used by latest Nikon cameras.</p>

<p>Specifying that a lens uses CPU is not enough, for those advanced features. Precise focus diistance information requires additional electronics, data format that includes D information in increments that makes/allows precise focusing/focus tracking, and processing to make it work as in Nikkors latest lenses.</p>

<p>The answer to both your questions is yes and all modes supported on the F6. Even the ZF's, of which I have several, can do most of it except S and P modes on the F6/D700 etc.<br>

I also have recently acquired the Voigtlander 40mm f2 SL II which has a chip and therefore supports all modes, matrix metering etc (subject to some of the provisos on distance info that Frank rightly poits out). It is a brilliant lens that equals and may even better the 35mm f2 Distagon which is praise indeed.</p>

<p>High praise indeed. I found the latest Voightlander 40mm f2 SL.II I borrowed from a freind to be not quite as sharp as my Zeiss 35/2 ZF.2 in the corners from f/2 to f/5.6. For the money though, the Voightlander is fantastic value.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>1. Yes.<br>

(A ZF.2 lens is an AI-P type CPU lens, see first row of table on pg. 42 of your FM3A instruction manual)</p>

<p>2a. Yes.<br>

2b. M, A, S, P<br>

(see last row of table on pg. 38 of your F6 manual)</p>

<p>-</p>

<p><em>"For 3-D Focus tracking, the iTTL/BL, <del>matrix metering</del>, and few other options, including some options in the Nikon software, the accurate and precise focus distance information is needed ..."</em></p>

<p>Did I miss something? I don't think the OP asked if his manual focus lens would 3D focus track ... ;-) :-)</p>