I always mix these lenses without bothering about the Rollei or

Schneider brand. For techies there might be a measurable

difference, but for photographers they are equally great. As a rule

of thumb the Schneiders have a longer aperture-range where

they perform best (mostly starting from f5.6 and ending around f

22), while the Zeiss lenses perform best early in their aperture

range (f4.0) but decrease rapidly in their plain field performance

when being past f 11.

I've owned and used all variations of the Rolleiflex--3.5, 2.8, Planar and Xenotar--from

the E-model to the final 12/24 F models (by Franke&Heidecke) since the late 1950's.

There is no appreciable difference that I can see, at least up to 18 x 20 prints.

The Schneider Xenotar was Rolleis first choice for its top class lens on the D model about

1952 or so. When demand grew faster than Schneider could produce lenses, they turned

to Zeiss for Planar lenses as well. (Both are essentially the very same lens formula.)

When the Planar was introduced in America (about 1960) Zeiss had a strong advertising

and Public Relations program going here and camera dealers were "pushing" the Planar so

that it didn't get an "inferior" reputation and was supported by the hype in the photo

magazines of the time. [This is when Zeiss was pushing Super Ikonta's, the last of the

Contax, Contaflexes, etc.] So, combined with the advertising blitz for Zeiss cameras, the

Planar took on a certain "cache" which had nothing to do with performance.

Both the Xenotar and Planar were 5-element lenses of the same outstanding design

(originating I believe prior to 1920 but not mass produced due to expense.) What little I

know about optics is that there is more abberation correction choices for the lens designer

with the odd number of elements 3, 5, 7 etc. except for some reason the 4-element

Tessar design works remarkably well for its type.

Later, in the early 60's Zeiss added a sixth element to the Planar for a few years as a "field

flatener"--placed as the final element in the lens group. Independent testers finally

agreed that it did NOTHING to add to the lens performance, except put another

obstruction in the light path.

The ultimate answer is not in the name but in the design. Both companies make excellent

lenses and nobody has ever been able to state unequivocally that one is "better" than the

other at all times. How large are you making your prints? If you are shooting

transparencies and digitizing them with very high-end equipment (such as a Tango drum

scanner and printing with a Lightjet laser or a Chromira LED system) you'll still see no

appreciable difference in 30X40 prints from either lens.

For what it's worth, NASA used a Xenotar lens in 1967 to take photos of the moon's

surface from an Apollo spacecraft to see if they could determine whether it was firm or

powdery before attempting a landing there in 1969. Personally, I had a Xenotar FIRST (and

still have it on a Rollei E from 1958) so I am partial to the Xenotar since I have made some

very huge B&W conventional prints with it. I just haven't gone as large with the Planar but I

am convinced that it will hold up well. (I use Planars on my Hasseblads.)

It is a matter of whatever is available at the price you want to pay at the time you want to

buy, assuming "condition" of the lenses and cameras are the same. If buying a used Rollei,

find one in a leather case that has been hanging in somebody's closet for 25 years. It will

probably be like new. [Three years ago I did buy a NEW one, still in the original box with

the outer cardboard protective sleeve and price sticker on it--a 2.8F.] Yes, I had to pay

more than the price sticker!

Good luck. Remember, Public Relations and Advertising were the only difference originally,

and some of that may still hold true today. Same goes for the so-called "White Face"

versions which are no different than regular Rolleis but will bring $200 to $400 more on

the collector market.