Zeiss Vs. Canon

shambrick007

OK, there is a Zeiss vs. Canon pissing contest going on a few

threads down. I don't want to continue that here, but just have two

questions:<p>

1. Where are people getting their Contax to EOS converters and how

much are they paying? <p>

2. If you know of any, please post some links to A/B tests shots

(Canon vs. Zeiss lenses of similar focal lengths).

<p>

Thanks!

Zeiss has always been able to piss farther than Canon. They're German, so they have a

longer tube to begin with. Canon, despite the name, can only dribble next to the Zeiss.

Plus, with a name like Carl, well, who could piss farther than someone named Carl?

It's not a pissing contest, it's a fact.

The manual focus Ziess 21/2.8 ($1750) is a sharper lens than the Canon 20/2.8 autofocus ($400). I've seen the images. The corners are indeed sharper and show lower chromatic aberration.

If you have enough money and don't mind manual focus and stop down metering, the Zeiss lens will give you sharper edge-to-edge images.

Look here - http://www.geocities.com/ilprode/TestZ.htm

and - http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?

Cat=&Board=UBB18&Number=220315&Forum=f18&Words=&Searchpage=0

&Limit=25&Main=219327&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=2130

&daterange=0&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=

&bodyprev=#Post220315

There was a Spanish photographer who used an 18mm F4 Zeiss lens on a 1Ds and posted comparisons with Canon lenses but I can't find the site anymore (maybe someone can spend more time on google) - anyway the results were pretty impressive when compared to the Canons.

I wonder how the Leica R primes would do vs Zeiss vs Canon? Designing wide angle lenses is not a trivial matter, lenses below 40mm can be a challange to get right. This is especially true if you them to be sharp, have high contrast, AND the correct color.

If you have time go over to www.photodo.com and look at the results of their testing, everybody makes reasonably good long lenses, however the wide angle ones are significantly tougher.

Now back to your question www.cameraquest.com does sell converters, they however are not cheap, I would buy one and test it. You also can try buying one on Ebay then comparing them mechanically to the one from cameraquest.

I bought one in ebay. just do a search on "eos contax adapter" and depending on the day

you might find multiples of those. Now, I have 28mm/2.8 and 50mm/1.7 used from B&H

for around $300 USD for both. I'm very happy with the lens, as it offers very contrasty

tone throughout the region wide open. I wouldn't say it's twice as sharp as the 50mm 1.8

canon one, because that one kicks ass too, but I can say there is a difference on picture

quality.

I use both as the walkaround lens. The adapter is nice too, but for one of my lens there

is a slight play when I lock it. So I ordered another one with a lens lock for $60USD. It's

quite cheaper than any other adapters on Internet. His ebay ID is big_is.

The merchant is in mainland China, and he was really helpful and courteous. And the

adapter focuses infinity fine too.

If you go to my gallery presentation, I added a photo of bloor street at dusk. it is with my

50mm/1.7 and canon 10D. @1.7F.