Zeiss Super Ikonta IV 534/16 repair

Kat D.

<p >I broke the exposure value lever on my Ikonta IV 534/16 yesterday. First roll of film in camera. I did shoot some frames, but then when I was setting the diaphragm for fifth shot, the lever became totally loose. Now it doesn't attach at any particular point. I can see the diaphragm isn't opening. It seems the lever disconnected from something inside the lens. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I may have done something wrong. I see that someone here said the 1/500 speed must be set before cocking the shutter. I don't see that mentioned in my manual.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I do see that it says the synchro-lever for flash should not be set to V before shutter tensioned. I don't know where the synchro-lever was when I was working with the camera. I could have moved it at some point between shots to see what it did (I didn't have manual with me). Right now, that lever won't move to the M position.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Anyway, I searched the forum for repair people and found Paul Ebel recommended. Is this who people have been using for their Ikontas? Looks like the other recommended repair place, Umbach ZV Camera Service, is out of business.</p>

<p ><br /> I got the camera at Keh (excellent condition, non-working meter, $300) last spring and just now had time to work with it. I really love the idea of having a medium format camera I can carry with me all the time, so I hope I can get it fixed for reasonable price.</p>

<p ><br /> Thanks.</p>

<p>I'm trusting all of my Zeiss gear: Super Ikonta BX; Super Ikonta C; and Contessa, to Henry Scherer. He dismantles every camera down to the last screw, cleans and adjusts everything upon reassembly. It is a long and laborious process, so there is a waiting list. I've been on it since mid 1977, and now I'm about #40 on the list.</p>

<p>I've used Wolf Umbach in the past (in fact, he repaired the Super Ikonta BX back in 1975, as evidenced by a service sticker inside), and he is a master. Unfortunately, he's in his late 80s, and he's retired - which you found out.</p>

<p>There are some other competent technicians out there - Ken Ruth of Bald Mountain, Essex Camera, Mark Hama come to mind. You may have to Google them, then email them to find out the cost. Be warned, a proper repair for these 50+ year old cameras won't come cheaply.</p>