Zeiss Super Ikonta B vers. Agfa/Ansco Super Speedex

Hello Robert,

I think the Solinar and Zeiss Opton Tessar are not compare.

In my personal experience and opinion the Tessar have a better BOKEH. But the question in sharp and contrast between the lens are minimal. In work with favorite color films have the Tessar BOKEH a softener and very harmony results. In a other way for archithektur like pictures from buildings, landscapes etc. are the solinar my favorite.

The Solinar can be a very sharp lens if everything else is fine but the Agfa body design doesn't always ensure that's the case. I'd check out previous threads on folding 120 cameras and the problems with film flatness or front standard rigidity.

Robert, I have both and these are wonderful cameras. They are heavy, but still wonderful.

The 75mm Solinar is a superbly executed Tessar type lens. It uses unit focusing. In other words the entire lens assembly moves forward and backward as opposed to the 80mm Opton Tessar on the 532/16 which is a front cell focusing lens. This version of the Solinar has the edge in sharpness, but don't let stop on purchasing the last version of the Super Ikonta B.

In use, the big Agfas are a bit quicker to shoot with, especially if you have to reload the film while shooting. The unit focus helicoid is much faster and easier to use than the focus wheel on the Super Ikon B. That said, although a bit slow, I find the focus wheel and coupled rotating prism to have the edge when it comes to accuracy.

With regards to BOKEH, I'm not qualified to judge this aesthetic quality, so I've attached a photo.

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

I agree w/Andrew Yue re: the Super Ikonta B v. Agfa Super Isolette. You should keep in mind that the Super Ikonta B w/Zeiss-Opton Tessar is really a post-WWII revival of a great, but heavy-duty, pre-WWII design (w/coated lens) whereas the Super Isolette is a completely post-WWII design. Although the Super Isolette is easier to use (particularly in low-light) than the Super Ikonta B, it is still a pretty heavy camera. If you're looking for a smaller, more lightweight 6x6 folder, I would recommend the Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta III or IV, which are later post-WWII replacements for the Super Ikonta B & BX; they still use the front-cell focusing, but have a brighter, mirror-based VF/RF mechanism (as opposed to the Super Ikonta B & BX's rotating prism design).

• 2 weeks later...