Zeiss Super Ikonta B - natural light portraiture

I am going on a long, well known hike through northern Spain (approx.

800-850 km) and will be taking a Konica Hexar RF with Hexanon 50/2

lens as well as a Yashica T4 Super to document my travels... I was

also entertaining the idea of bringing along my Super Ikonta B )and a

Sixtar) (6x6) to take available light portraits of travellers I meet

along the way... would appreciate any feedback anyone with experience

taking portraits with this camera could offer... only reason i am

reluctant is the weight (will be carrying around 20lbs), however the

idea of 6x6 portraits is enticing... TIA

One concern with portraits using 6x6 RF or viewfinder cameras is that the closest focus and focal length are such that you can't take a close head shot; you'll have to stand back a minimum of 4-5 feet, which with the 75mm to 80mm lens common on these cameras will give you an upper body portrait. That's not a wholly bad thing, but it is limiting.

The good news is, from 6x6, you can crop down to a head shot and still get enlargements as good as you'd get from 25-80 zoom on 35 mm, and the camera will surely weigh less than an SLR body and zoom lens.

If you're already taking a pair of 35 mm, though, you need to contend with packing (it seems) a total of four cameras, and two different formats of film -- you'll be wishing that weight was food, if the hike gets more than a couple days from the last resupply. For myself, I'd be more inclined to take the 6x6 and leave the 35 mm, or take my Jubilette (35 mm folder, scale focus, similar folded size to a Rollei 35 with lens retracted) instead of a solid body 35 mm RF (or two).

Actually, I might be tempted to take only my Moskva-5 -- it shoots 6x9 and 6x6, and the longer lens on 6x6 makes it better for portraits, but I can still use the rectangular composition when I don't have the mask in. Bad news is, at 8 shots per 120 roll in 6x9, the film weight adds up...

I had a reply, but then it became so confusing that it served no purpose. But basically, just one 6x6 should be enough unless you're going for a specific "look" that each offers. I'd probably not bring the Yashica at all.

Having backpacked with three cameras, I can tell you it's a mistake. Juggling two cameras is tough enough. Make it three, and you'll be assured to drop one of them at worst, and at least, you'll realize that you have one too many cameras.

By the way, the weight of the Super Ikonta B almost qualifies it as two cameras ... little bit of humor there.

I have a lot of fond respect for the Ikonta but it weighs in the neighborhood of two pounds. The Leica M6 with Summicron C weighs about 26 ounces. I can state from experience backpacking in Alaska that even the Leica and a modest supply of film becomes a burden after a week or so of trekking. However, you could add the Elmar C at an additional 270 grams. Obviously your logistic arrangements might allow you to forego some staples in order to accommodate equipment, but I would be inclined to keep the photographic gear to a minimum. Before I retired from back country jaunts I had reduced my camera gear to a Minox 35 folder and the necessary film. I would advise carrying the most expensive photo gear you can afford, then you will be less tempted to abandon it along the way when the hiking becomes tough.

thanks for the feedback...

and for reminding me of the limits of this camera (considerable weight, relatively long minimum focal distance, etc...) ... i guess the best thing would be to find a 90mm M mount lens for the Hexar RF, save some weight and settle for 35mm near full frame head shots (comparable to what i might be able to achieve with the 6x6 with cropping) and stick with one film format....

BTW, Christopher, a Sixtar is the name of an old Gossen light meter (made in the 60s?) still quite accurate (uses old mercury batteries though)...

Ken, I think you baffled most of us when you wrote "bringing along my Super Ikonta B )and a Sixtar) (6x6)." I also confess to thinking that was another 6x6 camera.

But to repeat, I generally take a 35mm rangefinder and a MF camera on my ventures.