Zeiss Super Ikonta 532/16

I am impressed with this image from a 70 year old camera with an uncoated Zeiss Tessar 80/2.8. It was

taken with Fuji ACROS 100 pulled to ISO 50 and developed in Rodinal 1:100.

I had to "zone focus" and shoot with one hand as the puppy would "bolt" if let off the leash.

Consequently, the "sharpness" might get even better. This is a heavy camera.<div>00JHMm-34125984.jpg.48422e69aed709d643a2926ab424fcbe.jpg</div>

I am proud that two members of my immediate family are Old English Sheepdogs, but I have infinite appreciation of Border Collies. When I visited Great Britain in the 80s, a country that appeared to be wall-to-wall sheep, when one said "sheepdog", it meant "Border Collie". I take it for granted that you have viewed the immortal film "Babe".

Alex, would you have any idea of the approximate value? I don't want to sell it; I'm just

curious. It's an heirloom.

Focussing was very stiff but I had it cleaned, lubed and adjusted and it is now 100%

functional. The lens dates to 1937. No scratches but a little dust. There one large "Zeiss

bump" and one almost invisible one on the back and there are five very small bumps on the

bottom. Otherwise, the leather is in remarkably good condition.

I've got a 521/16 which needs a CLA - shutter is only semi-reliable at speeds shorter than 1/50th, sticks open at slower speeds. Just recently dug this out of my cabinet and was wondering what a CLA might cost these days.

When I first got into medium format photography in the 80's I used this same camera to shoot b+w shots of outdoor fashion (sports outerwear) for a catalogue. The look was right for that job. Wandering around with the old-fashioned looking Ikonta got me very odd looks until they saw the results from the first session.

Michael.

It cost me $90. The focussing mechanism was pretty badly "gummed-up" and he had to

soak the components in solvent for a long time before they cleaned-up. The shutter was in

good condition so it didn't require much adjustment. The bellows are light tight which I

think is pretty remarkable after 70 years.

• 1 year later...