Zeiss Super Ikonta 530/2

<p>Dear All,<br>

I have just purchased my first "Classic Camera". I was searching on a secondhand dealer's website (not KEH) and came across a Zeiss Super Ikonta 530/2 which had been recently serviced. I read as much as I could about the various Super Ikontas on the many websites there are and realised that I could not resist any longer. It arrived in the post today and is now sitting on my desk and being admired by everyone I show it to.<br>

I am hoping that one, or more of you, will be able to tell me more about the camera and give me an idea of how old it is, etc. It has a Carl Zeiss Jena Triotar f4.5 10.5 cm lens Serial Number 1524398 in a Klio shutter with speeds going from 1/5 to 1/100 second. I was a little puzzled by the focal length of the lens as all the information I had gathered suggested the Triotar lens would be 120 mm. I've managed to sort out the focussing from the various bits of information I have picked up from the web and the shutter is self-cocking and sounds so sweet! There are red dots on opposite sides of the lens which look like they should do something but I cannot work out what.<br>

I am looking forward to putting my first film through but haven't decided whether to use colour or black-and-white. I intend to scan the images afterwards on an Epson flatbed scanner which has a film adapter.<br>

All comments and advice very gratefully received.<br>

Best Wishes<br>

Ian</p>

<p>Congratulations for your purchase. If you do a google search for "Super Ikonta 530/2 manual" the very first result is just what you need.<br>

The camera is perfectly able to handle both B/W and colour film, but the former is arguably more "appropriate" for historical reasons. But: does your scanner really have an adapter for 120 film?</p>

<p>Your lens is a 10.5CM or 105MM, which is about a normal for the 6x9 format. I know these were made pre-war (WWII), and usually are not coated. The age of your camera is probably c 1934-38. The Triotar like the other triplet (3 element), and Tessar (4 element) type lenses, will work best stopped down to F8 or so.</p>

<p>The biggest drama with these old folders is cracked leather on the bellows. Light leaks can be sealed with black liquid non hardening gasket material. This comes in tubes at automotive supply stores.</p>

<p>Your super is known as the 'C' [C = 6x9, B= 6x6, A=645] however there was also a pre-war only 'D' that used an even larger [perhaps 3.25 x 4.25 inch?] and long discontinued roll film. The 'D' would have used the 120mm lens. I think you will find a red mark on the distance scale and another on the aperture scale. The one on the distance scale is a hyperfocal mark for that particular aperture, which enables you to use the 'super' as a 'point and shoot' or box camera. Seems kind of silly for a camera with such a sophisticated rangefinder but there it is. In my opinion the good news is the Zeiss bellows and folding mechanism seem to hold up very well over time. And I think you'll find you have a rare example: the tessar lens is more common than the triotar or novar ona super, and I have never heard of a super with a Klio!</p>

<p>Re Prof. K's comment: It may be that the Klio is not the original shutter on this camera. Sometimes repairmen will have to make substitutions when an original part cannot be restored to full working order. I have a Weltur 6x6 that has had its original Tessar lens replaced by a Xenar.</p>

<p>Congratulations on your acquiring one of these gems! I myself own two Ikonta Cs (not Supers), both 521/2s, 6x9 format, both Novars, one an f/4.5, the other an f/3.5. Yes indeed, the 105mm is the focal length for the 6x9. In accordance with the <em>Ikonta Guide</em>, the red dots signify the hyperfocal aperture/distance combination where if both are set on their respective dots, everything from 15 feet onwards will be sharp. These cameras came with either Klio or Compur shutters. Enjoy!</p>

<p>At least <a href="http://www.ukcamera.com/classic_cameras/zeiss7.htm">http://www.ukcamera.com/classic_cameras/zeiss7.htm</a> mentions that there was a Super Ikonta Version with Triotar lens and Klio shutters. We should always keep in mind that in pre-war times many camera models were available with a LOT of lens/shutter combos.<br>

Also, the Weltur was available with a Xenar lens, too, not just the Tessar version, so there is no reason to believe that a Weltur with Xenar is not original.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My Weltur originally had a Tessar, but when I sent it to Jurgen Kreckel for restoration, he found it impossible to get the Tessar to focus properly, so with my approval he replaced it with a Xenar. Whether that particular Xenar came from another Weltur or some other camera, I have no idea, but it's definitely not the camera's original lens.</p>

<p>"Whether that particular Xenar came from another Weltur or some other camera, I have no idea, but it's definitely not the camera's original lens."<br>

I see ... but at least you do not really have a Frankenweltur now. Of course Xenars with suitable focal length were used on other folding cameras, too, and it is not unlikely that Juergen cannibalized the lens from a totally different camera, anyhow it was orignally sold with Xenars, too.</p>

<p>Dear All,<br>

Thank you for your feedback.<br>

Bonsignore - I did the Google search and now have the manual for the camera. It certainly answers some of the queries I had. It has, however, left me with a problem - am I only supposed to use the camera while wearing a three-piece suit and tie ! I realise these cameras are revered but was hoping for a more casual approach.<br>

Steve - I am pleased to say that the bellows look in excellent condition but I guess I will have to have my first film processed before I find out. The camera is now loaded with Kodak 400 NC as I thought the negative film would have a wider exposure latitude. I am looking to get back into black-and-white processing but one step at a time. I can, and have, scanned 120 film on my Epson flatbed. I may not be able to go very large with the images scanned but they look good on the computer screen.<br>

Professor K - thank you, I have found the red marks on the distance scale and aperture scale and will try using it as a 'Point and Shoot' ;-) However, having read the manual in more detail I now realise the red dots I was referring to are for setting up the self-timer. I gave them a twist, they were quite stiff, and then triggered the shutter. The mechanism started but was quite slow and seemed sticky. The shutter eventually fired - with a little encouragement from me - but I don't think I will be using that very often. The camera was described as having been recently serviced but I think they might have omitted this from the CLA. Once I am more familiar with the camera I may try it again but I don't want to break it. I am intrigued that you think I may have a rare example. This has made the ownership even more special - but I won't be too disappointed if others come back and shatter my illusion.<br>

Craig - it seems like it is the original but then I have no real way of telling.<br>

Rob - I'll try and post a picture of the camera for you soon.<br>

Allan - thank you. I'll have to keep an eye out for the <em>Ikonta Guide</em>.<br>

Red - your comment has intrigued me. My camera does not have automatic advance and I have to align the next frame using the red window in the back of the camera. If I line these up properly - a skill I haven't tried in years - will the frame be correctly spaced, or do I still need to compensate?<br>

Winfired - thank you. I didn't find that link when doing my original searches.<br>

Once again, many thanks for all your feedback. I took the camera out yesterday but didn't find the right opportunities to take a photograph, the weather was quite dull. Although I went to Oxford with my wife we spent time with our son, who is studying Chemistry there, and watch and hear him performing in Handel's <em>Messiah</em> as part of the Queen's College Choir. Nevertheless I showed him the camera and, though he doesn't share my passion for photography - yet, even he thought it was 'Cool". There's hope for him yet !<br>

Hoping to hear more from you.<br>

Best Wishes<br>

Ian</p>

<p>A bit late here, but nevertheless... Ian, your camera does exist originally like this! In an issue of the German Vintage Camera magazine Photo Deal No. 46 Bernd K. Otto, member of ZHS, gives a list with dates of production. A Super Ikonta 6x9 530/2 with Klio and Triotar has been around since May 1934 up to April 1937, costing between 135 and 120 Reichsmark. So it is among the very first Super Ikontas 6x9 (starting with Tessars from Sept. 1933)! This makes it quite rare, probably there were less produced with this combination. Klio shutters were produced by Gaulthier and named after the war Prontor.<br /> This version does not have the later double exposure prevention, means, you advance to the next frame via key and every thing will be fine, no spacing problem. Congrationlations on the nice camera and have fun!</p>