I just have an offer to buy a Rollie 6008 camera with a Schneider

Tele-Xener 2.8/180 lens at very attractive price. As I'd already

owned a Zeiss Sonnar 4/180 CFE lens and the Hasselblad system, I

wonder how good the Schneider is and should I accept the offer. I

must say that the Schneider lens is the only reason I am considering

the offer.

Anyone has experience with the Schneider lens or had done some test

for theses two lenses? Thanks.

Have it; love it; never compared it. I believe it was developed as a competitive copy of the Zeiss Olympic Lens developed for the 1936 games--that still sets the fast MF 180 standard. Thus, you're not comparing directly matched lenses. This should be a whole league better than the 4/180.

The 6008 is a wonderful workhorse and you won't want to go back to Blad...lol

Ray Hull

The difference in camera handling will be much bigger and much more important for the real quality you're going to get than the optical difference between the lenses.

<p>

If a camera and lens combo feels good to work with, you will get better pictures, not because of small optical characteristics. [ we are here of course talking about two wonderful good lenses ]

<p>

<a href='http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl'>Wim</a>

• 2 weeks later...
Don't bother with the Rollei, go with the 'Blad. I have had personal experience using both. I had bought a 6008i after using a Contax 645 and I hated the Rollei for many reasons. I also tried a Rolleiflex SL66 and sold it off after major disappointment. I thought I would never use any other MF camera again outside of the Contax because it is such a sweet camera. Year later, took a chance with a Hassy 503cw to get that square format and I love it just as much as the Contax (which I still own). I feel the 'Blad is a much better camera over the Rollei. If it was my money, it would be the 'Blad, at least a Contax. However, it is a matter of personal preference, so try it for yourself before taking anyone's word for it. I suggest you rent or borrow both to see how you like each before buying. On the other hand, I would probably get a Rollei TLR someday (before the extinction of film, that is).

• 4 weeks later...

I have used both though not professionally nor extensively but enough to give some

pointers. Due to poor eye sight I have switched to the 6008AF and am currently using all

three 50mm, 80mm, and 180AF lenses.

First of all the Sonnar and Tele-Xenar were made for different purposes. One is a razor

sharp technical lens while the other a cat walk, portrait, and hand held lens. I would say it

is like the classic Zeiss 100/3.5 vs. Zeiss 110/2 Planar comparison. The Schneider is really

a beautiful lens and I especially notice the superior way it holds on to shadow detail.

With the 503CW I could barely handhold the 100CF with or without the winder. I know

many folks out there can handhold a 'blad with long lenses if they need to but the Rollei

6008 was made to be used handheld. I can handhold the 6008i and even more so the

6008AF with the 180 Tele-Xenar with no effort at all. Seems the kit balances so well in the

hands.

if your deal is anywhere around $2500 then grab it at once.