Zeiss Protar VIII

j.e. simmons

I have a Zeizz Protarlinse Series VIII in barrel. Both front and rear

elements are 41cm. On the ground glass, it appears to cover 8x10, but

I'm wondering if it really does. Does anyone know anything more about

this lens? I see a lot of information about Series VII, but nothing

about Series VIII.

Thanks, juan

I'm wondering if maybe you have an example of an engraving error. This happens more often than you might expect. I have an "apoc hromat" and a "Wolensak" lens. ON the other hand, I know perfectly well that just because I have never heard of it, it doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist.

What is the maximum aperture? If it is f6.3, that strengthens my guess that it actually may be a Series VII. If so, the recommended plate size was 6 1/2" X 8 1/2" and the combined focal length about 235mm.

It has metric stops - 5-42mm. Somewhere I have the formula for converting, but I can't lay my hands on it. Someone has scratched in regular stops beginning with f8, but it will open a bit more, so it could well be f6.3.

Only one element is marked VIII - the other is not marked as to series at all.

Thanks guys.

j

I have a Protar VII that has the same mark (VIII) on the side of one of the elements. My cells are in MM which means about 1900 mfg date. (They changed to CM in the very early 1900s) The lens seems to be a Protar VII in all other reguards.

I have even contacted Ron Wisner and sent him a scan of the mark. He didn't supply an answer either, although he answered other questions I ask at the same time.

There are some question in life we are just not supposed to know the answers to.

Series VIII lenses are Apo Tessars or Apo Planars. I don't see a a 41cm size listed in

the 1910 Zeiss Catalog. Zeiss changed from mm to cm designations for focal length

in 1910.

Where is the VIII designation shown? Zeiss also used Roman Numerals to denote

barrel sizes.

Usually you don't see the focal length on both elements of a Tessar/Planar so I

wonder whether the lens is really a Series VIII. 41 cm elements were made for the

Series VII. The focal length of the combined Series VII elements is 24cm. This lens

should cover 8x10 at small stops.

The VIII is on the outside of the front of the barrell about midway between the front of the element and the f/stop adjusting ring.

On the front element itself is "Carl Zeiss Jena Nr995819 Protarlinse f=41cm" on the rear element is "Carl Zeiss Jena Nr995818 Protarlinse f=41cm." I would assume that since the numbers are sequential, they are an original set, but I certainly don't know that for sure.

Also, the formula I've found for focal length for the combined elements gives 225.5mm - or 9 inches. Converting the millimeter f/stops at a focal length of 225.5 seems to line up with the regular f/stops that have been scratched into the barrell.

I've considered rigging a shutter (card, hat, PVC lens cap)and trying it out, but it's so close in focal length and coverage to my Rodenstock Sironar 210mm which is in a shutter, I haven't tried it. I'm guessing the only real difference would be less contrast from lack of coating.

Thanks for your help

j

• 6 months later...

Hi,

my Zeiss-list ( Zeiss publication H.XII.38) states about the combined 41cm + 41cm Doppel-Protar: max. apert.: 1:6.3, recommended for 16x21cm format, image circle at "small stop" 37cm. It also says that this lens ( code: FOETORIBUS ) could be had in Compur- or Compound shutter or in normal- barrel, size VIII. Having seen quite a couple of Protars ( and bought some ) my guess is: The "VIII" on your lens mount relates to the barrel size needed for proper spacing, and not to a series VIII I have never seen mentioned in lens lists or lens literature. Just one Pfennig,

Uli