Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 for Rolleiflex 35mm Camera

I was told by my camera repairman that my Zeiss 85mm/1.4 Planar lens

had a faulty aperture mechanism due to broken parts that needed

replacement. Knowing how difficult and/or expensive it is to have

Rollei repair such old lenses I have offered to sacrifice a couple

of Zeiss 50/1.8 lenses to (hopefully) obtain the parts needed to fix

the 85mm lens. Is it better to go another route here?

Hi,

I have been using (among others) Rolleiflex SL35 bodies over the years, and I have always been very pleased with the results when using either Zeiss or Schneider lenses with the SL35. These bodies are not as reliable anymore and the parts are getting very hard to find. I kept the system for the sake of the lenses; recently I got a mint Rolleflex SL2000F body, and now I dug up my ZEiss lenses to be used with this newer body.

I will check with the recommended repair person. Maybe I panicked from seeing repair estimates for Rolleflex bodies and the cost of repairing a lens may be much lower. My repairman is very trustworthy and I have been using him for many years to service my photographic equipment first. When he cannot do the job (he tells me), I start looking at other resources. He does not have spare parts for old Rolleiflex mount Zeiss lenses.

If your repairman deems your aperture problem not worth the effort, contact me off the forum - I have an 85 1.4 for Rolleiflex (and a couple of other lenses, and a motor drive for an SL35E) I'd be willing to part with. To more directly answer the question, the aperture mechanisms will most likely be non-interchangeable between the lenses, as the aperture on the 85 1.4 is a three-blade mechanism with a maximum diameter of 67mm, whereas the apertures on the 50 1.8s are a six or eight blade aperture of approximately 35-40mm diameter.