Zeiss on FD

baris_john

No, I haven't tried to use a Zeiss lens on an FD, but I have used Pentax M42 thread and Leica R lenses using adapters. For a Nikon mount "Zeiss", you'd need the N adapter actually made by Canon in the FD heyday to use Nikkor lenses. This thing is fairly rare and over $200. The folks at www.kevincamera.com (kevincameras?) may have one.

The Pentax screw mount (M42) to FD Canon Lens Mount Converter P adapter is really cheap on auctions. This should adapt any M42 thread lens to an FD body. Adapters exist to mate these screw mount (and several other mount) lenses to Canon EOS digital SLR's.

All that either of these adapters does is to mount lens to camera at the correct registration distance. Infinity in the viewfinder should actually be infinity through the lens. You must meter stopping the aperture down, or select your aperture and use aperture-priority auto exposure.

If you really MUST have these lenses, you might just buy a Nikon FM, FM2, FM2n or FM3n body at a place like KEH.com.

I routinely use M42 lenses on my FD cameras. The adapters are inexpensive and robust. Operation is very easy in stopped-down metering mode. With some FD bodies, you will be able to shoot aperture priority AE. There will be no operational difference between the new Zeiss M42 lenses and any other M42 lenses. The difference in corrections however, from everything I had read, is very impressive indeed...

The cost of the Zeiss lenses may outweight the performance increase & the use of stopped

down metering on FD bodies another thing to consider with 42mm mount Zeiss glass.

Now that Contax is history, Zeiss needed to adapt their lenses to other mounts. If you

are thinking about upgrading your lenses & have deep pockets SWMBO doesn't know

about, Zeiss worth looking into & cheaper than most Leica R lenses.

ZF or ZK mount lenses may be more to your liking. In todays changing world, future

digital options should be considered. New lens line limited but basic focal lengths

covered. I do wish thet would have kept the 100/2 in the new mount.

Personally, I do use a few select Pentax 42mm mount lenses on my FD bodies & some

other 39mm SM lenses with 42mm adapter to create different looking images. And the

same lenses on Oly E-330 for digital & on EOS A2. However I have come to the conclusion

3 different (maybe 4) digital body mounts are needed to cover all your bases in the future.

The novelty factor of the Zeiss lenses must be very high for the prices they sell at. I have two adapters for usng Nikon F mount lenses on Canon FL or FD mount cameras. One is an original Canon adapter and the other is an off brand. Both work but the Canon adapter is a little smoother to mount on the Canon cameras. I sometimes have fun using Nikkors or other Nikon mount lenses on a Canon F-1. The F-1 is easy to use in stop-down mode for metering and with the L D screen the viewfinder is reasonably bright. If I compare Nikkors and Canon lenses of the same type and time period I find that they are very even in quality.

When it comes to M42 lenses I also have an original Canon adapter and an off brand one. I often prefer to use M42 lenses either with a Minolta X-700 or a Canon F-1. The X-700's viewfinder is brighter but with the F-1 I can use a waist level or Speed Finder. I recently got a Ricoh TLS 401 so I think I will have some fun with it using my many M42 lenses. The new Zeiss SLR lenses don't come in very many focal lengths. If I think of my Canon 28/2 FD SSC and 28/3.5 AI Nikkor and of other Canon and Nikon lenses like the 55/2.8 AIS Nikkor and 50/3.5 Canon New FD I wonder how much better a Zeiss lens will be than any of these.

A contributor wonders how great a difference there is between newly designed Zeiss lenses (which received rave reviews; some are the most highly corrected lenses in all of 35 mm photography) and FD lenses which are 20-30 year old designs...

The answer is the difference is enormous, as you would expect, about as enormous as the price point. But if you are not enlarging or magnifying the negative/chrome, it is not likely you will see a critical difference and there is no value to the more expensive lenses. The value depends upon the demands of your shooting and the project...