Zeiss non-T* actually T* coated?

ingemar_lampa1

<p>Maybe this topic has been up for discussion before. Apologies if that is the case, but searching for it is difficult, to say the least.</p>

<p>My question is: Was there ever, before the advent of T* coated Zeiss lenses actually lenses produced with identical coatings, just not marked as such?</p>

<p>From what I know, the whole "multi-coating as a sales argument" business took off when Pentax started doing their SMC Takumar lenses and the other manufacturers, Zeiss included, got on the bandwagon with their respective brand names for multi-coating.</p>

<p>It would be interesting to know if there were, when it comes to Zeiss and Hasselblad, silver C lenses with T* coating, just not marked as such. And, if there ever was such a thing, years of production, serial numbers, etc.?</p>

<p>Anybody with any information on this?</p>

<p>As far as I know from reading the literature and own observations T*-coating was marked and advertised as such from the beginning. But there are lenses out there that have no T* on the barrel but T*-coated glass inside. Sometimes because a scratched front element was changed. But I also know of one silver barreled 250 mm C-lens that has the optics of a Cfi-lens inside.<br>

Ulrik</p>

<p>Track down a copy of Hartmut Thiele's "Fabrikationsbuch Photooptik III. Carl Zeiss Oberkochen 1948 bis 2008" (which has THE list of all lenses/serial numbers) or Richard Nordin's "Hasselblad Compendium" (not sure whether it goes into such detail.)</p>

<p>Alternatively, you can ask the good people at Hasselblad, Zeiss or The Hasselblad Historical Society.</p>