Zeiss Nettar 120 film spacing after loading . . . lining up film

Hi,

I've just acquired an old Zeiss Nettar (518/16?) with Novar 75 4.5 lens.

Initial loading of the camera with 120 film is fundamentally no problem,

however, after closing the back I can see absolutely no numbering through the

red window as a guide for setting up the first shot or the rest for that

matter. Do modern roll films no longer have these markings that will show up

in the red window? (Which seems very difficult to see anything anyway) If so,

do I just "guess" the film location across the rear of the lens by turning the

film wind on dial one whole revolution (or thereabouts), or is there an

easier/smarter way to ensure the photos are correctly spaced?

Any advice from experienced Nettar users would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

I think chances are that you just haven't rolled the film far enough to start seeing the markings. There will be some pre-numeral markings such as dots or arrows to signal the start of the film. With Kodak films, the word, "Kodak" will appear just before each numeral.

I'm experiencing the same issue with a Reflekta that I put Portra 120 in. I've advanced the film quite a bit hoping to see numbers or markings of some type, but to no avail. I'm afraid I'm going to use half of the roll or more looking for these numbers, so I've been trying to guess as well. I've also wondered if the red window is too hazy to see the numbers through and if that's the case, is a full revolution of the film advance knob enough to advance a full frame?

Keep rolling. 120 film is taped to the paper strip a good way off from the beginning of the roll, to protect the film from fogging.

The first time I did this, many years ago, I was also completely sure that I was in the midst of the film (I was not).

In Kodak films, you will see first a couple of thick arrows, then the word KODAK (it may be KODAK FILM or the type of film), and immediatly afterwards will come the number. Be warned, Kodak uses as number 1 just a short vertical line, so center that vertical line in the red window.

It helps to be in a place with good light, some red windows are quite dark. It is unlikely (but not impossible) that the window may be too hazy or dirty.

Guy's i have the same problem with my nettar.Using Fp4 ilford does have numbers.I did some practice with the back open with a old outdated roll by counting the turns.Just make notes and scotch tape to back of camera.Really love this little camera.

I use Nettars regularly in all three formats 4.5x6, 6x6 and 6x9. It's my camera that I carry as I go about my day. I've not had this problem with any modern fims I've used (Kodax, Ilford, Fuji and Agfa) in any of the Nettars. I'm with Julio in suggesting that you might not have gone far enough (It's much further than you would think) or that the red window is very dim.

I do have to pay close attention when using any of the Ilford films as their markings are very light and if you aren't in good light it's extreamly difficult to see the little circle with a number inside. I find Agfa's markings the easiest to see. Followed by Fuji and Kodak. I've missed that Kodak number 1 on more than one occasion. It's their trick to get you to buy more film and it works ;)

Have fun with your Nettar, they are awesome folders and deliver excellent results.

I second what's been said about modern 120 films having faint markings. I've recently started using 120 film again after a hiatus, and I overshot the first frame several times because the numbers were so lightly printed. Also, some films have a nice clear system of large black dots in ascending size order to warn you that a number is about to appear, but other films have a much fainter system of dotted rings. I'm learning to peer quite hard at the red window while winding.

Many thanks to all of you, Mike, Andy, Danny, Julio, Scott and AE Daly for your quick and thoughtful responses. I'm glad I'm not alone with this issue. Perhaps my red window is just dim - I'll certainly have a closer look. If that is the case, then it's a quandary - I guess it'll mean a bit of a mathematical 'guesstimate'using the film winder arrow as a revolution counter!!!

Andy, I hope you can sort your problem outwith your Reflekta and Porta 120 film.

Thanks again,

Chris

I only use Kodak Tri-X, so I don't know about other films. The only trouble I have is that the #1 numeral is just a straight line, and with all the other random markings on the film leader I sometimes mistake the --- for just a line of dashes rather than the number, and end up starting the roll at #2.

Hi,

Positive results. Used some FP4 and rolled on as advised. My red window is very dim but with a small 10x magnifier found the number (1) to centre up the first shot. Consecutive shots require about a 1.5 times rotation of the film dial/wind on to line up consecutive numbers to shoot.

Overall, I love this little fold-up, just a bummer working with a very dim red window.

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Well to chip in my twenty pence worth, I have recently been inspired to play with my old

Zeiss Nettar 515/2 and have really enjoyed the results.

I mainly shoot transparencies, so I appreciate the soft focus effect that a 1930's lens gives

you with Ultra fine grain film.

What everyone else above says is exactly correct, just keep winding, you would always be

best advised to runa dry roll of film through so that you can see where everything goes,

and then keep the film for the sake of it.

Cheers G