Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex

faraz_haqqi

I have discovered my grandfathers Ikoflex. So sue me, I like knowing

something about my cameras, and would appreciate it if someone could

tell me anything about this one.

It was purchased around 1950, the lense is a 75mm Tessar, and reads

" Zeiss-Opton Nr635161 ". The serial # is 2521995.

Thanks in advance

There is a gaggle of old Zeiss folders and reflex cameras around, and MANY different models. I have on old Nettar 515, and my exact model is not even listed on ANY of the many sites dealing with old Zeiss cameras. Do a Google.com search.

Faraz,

I had one of those! The Ikoflex was a TLR made over a long period by Zeiss and had roughly three versions of which yours sounds like an Ikoflex 2. If it has a meter and a massive finder lens it will be the posh Ikoflex 3. My one worked really well and gave sharp clear pics. Opton Tessar I think just means it was made in Jena in the East German zone.

Other way around: Opton was the name used by the West German lens house in Oberkochen before they managed to win full rights to the Carl Zeiss name in their legal battles with their eastern colleagues. It was a very respectable lens, as good as any TLR had in 1950, though not as good as the Planars and Xenotars in the later Rolleiflexes.

rick :)=

rick_oleson.tripod.com

There is a resource page for Ikoflex at:

http://www.wctatel.net/web/crye/z-i120.htm

I'm somewhat confused at the serial number you listed, as there isn't anything resembling that there. Could the "8" possibly be a "2"? In any case, the Zeiss Ikoflex series is a highly respected camera. The best of the bunch was probably the Favorit. According to the December, 1959 issue of "Consumer Reports" the Rolleiflex 3.5F, Ikoflex Favorit, Rollei T and the Minolta Autocord were the top TLR shooters tested. If the lens is clean, it'll probably deliver stunning pictures. Shoot it and let us know, OK Faraz?

Nice camera -- it does appear to be a IIA from the description. I owned one for several years and took many a fine picture with it. The only rap on the Ikoflex is that is isn't/wasn't perceived as "durable" as a Rolleiflex and Zeiss never made a model with the Planar lens. Winding the film isn't quite as intuitive for me -- I always have to think about it (which I usually try to avoid as a general principle). Have fun with it!

If it's a III (you can tell because it'll have a huge albada sports finder), treat it with kid gloves. All the high-stress parts (gears and so forth) were made of aluminum, because hitler put all the brass towards the war. My father had one that he got (cheap or free, can't remember which) with lots of broken parts, they were severely under-engineered. He machined a bunch of new parts for it (from brass, I believe), and it lasted a year or two before more of the remaining aluminum parts started falling apart. He ended up selling it to one of those guys who used to advertise in Shutterbug back in the 80s (brokers who bought stuff here and marketed it to Japanese and German highrollin' collectors).

He always complained about the design, he said it was much more complex than it needed to be (and the too-soft aluminum parts didn't help much).

Thanks for all the info.

I dont think its a III, it doesnt have the alabada? finder.

It doesnt work properly either, I sent in two rolls, and both came back with the first 9 exposures blank and only the last three exposed.

Does anyone know what the problem is, and can it be repaired?

Thanks

• 9 years later...
<p>Ten years later... you're probably not wondering anymore, but for the record an easy mistake to make with the Ikoflex is pulling the shutter without cocking it (two different controls on a lot of them). On mine the shutter release is a thick little tab that folds in and out on the side. You could release that button w/o first cocking the shutter, no picture would have been taken, and the over-complicated design of the ikoflex would require you to advance the film before you could take another picture. Any possibility you didn't cock the shutter on the first nine? </p>