usual scanner or computer, so the photos tones are only so-so.<p>

<a

href=http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation.tcl?presentation_id=228114

target=_new><B>See the presentation</b></a><p>

Now, you just have to get out there and buy one of these cameras for

yourself.<p>

As a sidenote, I once owned seven of these, but that was ridiculous so

I sold or gave away all of them except this one.<p>

That's funny. My first 35mm camera was a Zeiss-Ikon Contina II, and it was NOT the one you show. This one was a scale-focussing viewfinder camera, with a 45mm f/3.5 Zeiss Novar lens. It also had an uncoupled selenium light meter, with a spring-loaded door that sprang up to turn it on. (My uncle loaned it to me when I was 15, and I returned it to him on my 18th birthday. I was happy to use it but the lure of the slr was too much) I wonder why Zeiss made two different cameras with the same name? Thanks for an excellent presentation!

Nice presentation, Mike. My Ikonta 35 has the same lens and shutter. The sharpness of the Tessar is startling. Mine was half fogged when I got it, but the quality of the image on the unfogged side was so nice, I was inspired to take apart the camera to get it going. The lens just needed a little window cleaner, but the shutter was more challenging. I'm addicted to the handy little folder and will probably look for another, or maybe a fancier one like yours, for a backup.

Dan,

The folding Contina II is one of those cameras that doesn't get a lot of attention -- at least not as much as the Retinas. Compared with the Retina, the design of the Contina is outdated.

Here are my thoughts on comparing the Contina to a IIc, for example:

* Ergonomics: Retina has bottom-mounted film advance lever, while the Contina II has bottom-mounted film knob. Both have quirkly mechanisms to reset the film counter.

* Rangefinder/viewfinder: The Retina uses a combined rangfinder/viewfinder that's very effective. The Contina II has separate windows for the rangfinder and viewfinder, plus the odd uncoupled focusing knob on the top deck.

* Shutter release: Retina's shutter release is where you want it -- on the top deck. The Contina II has a front-mounted release.

* Lens: Retina moves entire lens/shutter assembly back and forth, while Contina II is a front-cell focusing camera. Most believe that moving the entire lens results in sharper photos. I've had very good results with front-cell Tessars in this camera and others.

* Workmanship: The Contina II has an edge (my opinion). I think the attention to detail and overall fit and finish go to Zeiss-Ikon, and that's true of most Zeiss-Ikons.

* Materials: Again (my opinion), the Contina II used higher quality materials than the Retina. A Retina is a beautiful camera, while a Contina II [and particularly the Contessa] is a step above that.

For everyday shooting, the Retina wins out, although the Contina II is no slouch.

One historical note: The Retina's designer was Dr. August Nagel, a former camera designer at Zeiss-Ikon and before that part owner of one of the six companies that merged to form Zeiss-Ikon. I believe that I read that Dr. Nagel was one of the primary designers of the Super Ikontas.