Zeiss Contina/Tessar pics

I exercised the Contina in early April, and still find it to be a very

good companion for general photography. The pristine 45mm/2.8 Tessar

has a nice quality. The life-sized, uncoupled rangefinder seems

snappier than either my Retina III-C or the common Fed 2. I have

problems keeping subjects level in the squinty little viewfinder, but

this might be more a problem of nose size.

Weight is an issue. Mine checks in at 19 oz with just wrist strap

attached. It isn't the camera to put into a fanny pack whilst jogging.<div>00C7Ej-23367984.jpg.41436fd0ca7cad7faa9b2511003749bb.jpg</div>

Nice Dennis.

I have just picked up a second one of those (Tessar lens/Synchro Compur shutter) to go with the one (Novar lens/Prontor SV shutter) I like to keep in my day pack.

I think they are a great little cameras albeit, as you say, a little heavy. My "new" one has seen very little use so needs servicing and after looking at your photos, that's going to happen this week!

If you think the viewfinder is squinty, I have a pre WW II Welta Weltix which is almost impossible for me to get a level horizon with. Tiny little viewfinder. Thank God for Photoshop and the leveling button!

If you saw a while back, I posted some Ikonta 35 pics. I've always thought the Contina would be the best to have, with the rangefinder to help in some situations.

Regarding the tilted shots, pay very close attention to how you use the shutter release. Because of its design, its very easy to deflect the camera right when you release. I would squeeze it down very slowly and let it release before I realized it, much like marksmanship. You have to be careful to make the shot if you squeeze past a certain point because the double exposure prevention kicks in before the shutter fires.

P.C., Scott, Mike,

Thanks for the comments. Mike, you may be right about the shutter release's position contributing to the problem, and the flatness of the lens standard in front makes it difficult to cradle the camera comfortably in the left hand while your right index reaches forward. I may be flinching too!

Good luck with your little Zeisses.