Zeiss Contessa leather care

<p>Hello,<br>

My Zeiss Contessa 35mm folder has great leather, without the Zeiss 'bumps', but I was wondering, should I ever use anything on the leather to treat and preserve it, or should I leave it alone? I'm going to be using the camera on an occasional basis, not a shelf queen.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Chris -<br>

<em> </em><br>

For all my older classics I use, (by brand,) Meltonian Shoe Cream, in the color of the leather. Initially I just use a clean cloth, lightly moistened with water, staying away from the edges so water won't get under the cover, that pretty well cleans and preps the leather or vinyl.</p>

<p>With Q-tips I apply small amounts of the cream, working in circular patterns until surface is covered. Waiting just a few minutes for the cream to completely absorb and dry, then with another clean cloth I buff until an even, semi gloss sheen remains. Any residue remaining in seams or edges I clean up with more Q-tips, or a soft texture toothbrush. That's worked well for me for decades, I believe the cream keeps the leather moistend and nourished to avoid drying/cracking.</p>

<p>I do also agree with S.P. about the wax sealing the leather, although the brand of treatment I have been using seems to do the same thing. I would use wax, but I'm not sure it would penetrate and preserve the cover as well as cream, it seems to just absorb immediately where wax seems to dry and most wipes off with the buffing.</p>

<p>I think saddle soap might require some water for application, care should be used to avoid excess moisture from getting in or around places, where you really don't want anything to be wicked up and deposited.</p>

<p>Good luck with the project. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Patrick Stack: to this comment[i think saddle soap might require some water for application, care should be used to avoid excess moisture from getting in or around places, where you really don't want anything to be wicked up and deposited.]<br>

the use of the water in very small amount is for the purpose of turning the mixture into a soap to get the dirt and grim out of the camera covering , the amount of water used by me does not hurt the skin covering the camera:</p>