Z9 Focus Options

pcassity

Just received my z9 a few days ago and I am trying to determine if it has the ability to recall a focal distance. I am finding that when I need to quickly shoot at infinity, such as in a BIF situation, often I am unable to locate the subject quickly enough to focus before the subject is out of range. Maybe there is another way to accomplish this? My 500pf lens has the focus recall feature which I find myself using very often in these types of situations. Your help is appreciated!

• 1 month later...
Just received my z9 a few days ago and I am trying to determine if it has the ability to recall a focal distance. I am finding that when I need to quickly shoot at infinity, such as in a BIF situation, often I am unable to locate the subject quickly enough to focus before the subject is out of range. Maybe there is another way to accomplish this? My 500pf lens has the focus recall feature which I find myself using very often in these types of situations. Your help is appreciated!

Posted the above back in March when I received my z9. As Joseph suggested, I posted my concern and suggestion for a focus memory / focus distance recall control function on Brad Hill’s blog. I was ecstatic to find out today that firmware version 2.0 for the z9 gives that exact function, and more! Focus distance recall can now be set to virtually any fn button on the camera or on a z lens within buttons. In fact, multiple focus distance recall points can be set to different fn buttons! Have no idea whether it was the result of It being on Brads blog or if Nikon already had it in the works, just very glad they did!

• Like 1