Z6 sample images

Andrew Garrard

Please delete this if we're already covering it and I've failed to spot the thread, but if anyone's interested, Imaging Resource has posted some samples from a Z6:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2018/11/02/nikon-z6-first-shots-big-sensor-lower-price-manageable-megapixels

I've had a quick look on their comparometer, and to my mind the Z6 isn't quite up with the D5 at the stupid ISO setting I selected (204,800), but it's respectably close. A pretty impressive effort, but then I've been pretty impressed even with what ISO 12,800 looks like on my D850. (Just as well, without an integrated flash for emergencies...)

I wonder whether they used exactly the same lens for their A/B comparisons. If so, they must have used adapter to mount that one lens onto Canon, Nikon, and Sony bodies. Otherwise, we could be comparing lens differences. Additionally, the Canon R has slightly more pixels.
  • Like 1

I guess with true 'electronic only focus-by-wire' lenses becoming more common, direct sensor comparisons using the same lens, not only the same type, is going to get more tricky.

I suppose a fully manual lens with an ability to out resolve any sensor up to 100MP and them scaled/sized to 100% would work. In-fact, I think one of the tech. sites does something like that but I can't remember which.

I don't think lenscore or senscore are active any more. The site works but they haven't added new tests in quite some time.

Anyway, I think it is likely possible to set the focus using the native camera, unmount the lens (unless the focus is reset), then mount it on the 200MP camera used for the test and focus using a focusing rail, if testing of focus-by-wire lenses using non-native cameras is to be done.