Z6 Image Area Setting

conrad_hoffman

Presumably in crop modes the camera only reads a part of the sensor data, which can speed up things, including buffering. For example, on the D850, the 14-bit lossless compressed NEF buffer is 51 images in FX and 200 in DX. The Z6 manual doesn't list these specs for DX crop mode, though, but I'd expect comparable improvement.

I don't think it would be a common use case where you'd want different compositions stored in the RAW and in-camera JPGs. If you want to make an in-camera JPG with cropping, you can do that in the retouch menu.

common use case where you'd want different compositions stored in the RAW and in-camera JPGs

I guess I treat composition like white-balance, all options are available, post shoot, from the complete data set.

But I can see a need for straight OOC redimensioned JPEGS with the greying out of the VF for better framing and then immediate use, such as printing/displaying thumbnails maybe.

My solution would also mean Conrad's problem couldn't have happened...:D

Presumably in crop modes the camera only reads a part of the sensor data, which can speed up things, including buffering. For example, on the D850, the 14-bit lossless compressed NEF buffer is 51 images in FX and 200 in DX. The Z6 manual doesn't list these specs for DX crop mode, though, but I'd expect comparable improvement.

I don't think it would be a common use case where you'd want different compositions stored in the RAW and in-camera JPGs. If you want to make an in-camera JPG with cropping, you can do that in the retouch menu.

With my tiny Sony RX100 M3, the RAW default setting is 4:3 but I change the VIEWING through the lens and LCD screen to 1:1, so I can better concentrate on my subject. Onece I open these RAW files in PS, the appear 1:1 in camera Raw but also 4:3. In fact images are registrated by default 4:3 (full frame) and the VIEWING is cropped.

Anybody knowing on how to get the same option with my Z6?

Thank you !

But I can see a need for straight OOC redimensioned JPEGS with the greying out of the VF for better framing and then immediate use, such as printing/displaying thumbnails maybe.

My solution would also mean Conrad's problem couldn't have happened...:D

Interesting that the Sony RX100 M3 went the way i thought Nikon should!