Z50 Interval Timer with Flash

Greg Fight

Question for you Z camera users: I'm doing a time lapse project using the Interval Timer in my Z50 and I wanted to use the built-in flash to trigger remote flashes for a portion of the project. Problem is, you can't turn on the flash when in Interval Timer mode. Am I overlooking something here?

I guess that's deliberate to save the tube from busting.

However, any small fully manual flash could be popped on the hot shoe at 1/32 power, or the minimum to trigger the slaves.

If you have anything like a pair of Yongnou 502n s, it would have the same effect. Then the RF triggered flash could trigger others slaves.

I deliberately got 4 x Yongnou 506iii flashes for similar purposes.

Late Thought.. I'm guessing the hot shoe is still triggered by the shutter, i suppose it's possible the camera disables that too??

Late Thought.. I'm guessing the hot shoe is still triggered by the shutter, i suppose it's possible the camera disables that too??

Yes, the hot shoe is also disabled in Interval Timer mode. I wonder if the same is true on the Z6 and Z7. The flash (built-in or hot shoe mounted) is not disabled on my D300 in Interval Timer mode.

• Like 1

Wow, what a bummer! I'd never come across a disabled hot-shoe...:(

I wonder if there's a well hidden menu option somewhere? Maybe near where you might adjust Manual flash power?

Don't suppose cameras have a PC socket these days....;)

Searched the menu high and low. Also tried changing many different settings, all to no avail. And no, there's no PC socket.

Should read 560iii flashes. Fully RF controllable for angular coverage and power.

They are?

Brilliant!

I'm regretting buying a set of (comparatively) expensive Godox V860N speedlights now.

I can't believe that Nikon have crippled the flash on the Z50 in intervalometer mode though. Oh wait, it's Nikon.... now I believe it.

The built-in flash can heat up quickly, has a long recycle time and is not intended for continuous / heavy usage. If you have a short interval between shots (< 30 s) probably the built-in flash's condition would prevent the camera from firing after a bit of time. I guess the designers it would be a big hassle to explain all the limitations that the use of the built-in flash would introduce when using the interval timer.

Okay, now I feel foolish. In the Interval Timer submenu there is a Silent Shutter setting that was turned on. The flash, built-in or hot shoe-mounted, won't fire in Silent Shutter mode. Turning Silent Shutter off enables both the built-in flash and hot shoe-mounted flash. I don't know but I would guess the same applies to the Z6 and Z7.
  • Like 2

Mike, I believe the MC-DC2 uses a USB-C connector which is compatible with the Z6 and Z7 but not the Z50, which has micro USB connector. For remote release I use the ML-L7 Bluetooth Remote Control.

• Like 1

Okay, now I feel foolish. In the Interval Timer submenu there is a Silent Shutter setting that was turned on. The flash, built-in or hot shoe-mounted, won't fire in Silent Shutter mode.

Don't feel too foolish. The 'No flash-synch in quiet mode' caught me out on a Sony camera too. It appears it's a common thing across all brands. Although equating 'quiet' with totally sneaky and visually non-intrusive is a bit OTT in most cases.

It would be nice if there was an option to mute the shutter without blindfolding the flash too.

• Like 1