Z-Finder Pro

michael_vail

<p>I'm interested in purchasing a Z-Finder Pro for use on a Nikon D810. Taking stills of seascapes/landscapes primarily and some macro work as well. I'm looking for feedback, pros and cons from those whom might have experience with the Z-Finder, especially if used with the D810. Thanks.</p>

<p>I've used a medium format loupe and a "chimney" Hasselblad finder with the rear LCD display on a Nikon. In my opinion, it's not worth the effort. At 1.3 MP or so, the LCD screen is barely better than the resolving power of your unaided eye. These finders, like the Z-Finder Pro, are bulky, taking the place in your bag better occupied by a lens, flash or filters.</p>

<p>In terms of composition, the optical finder is more than adequate. For fine focusing or closeup work, there is usually a digital magnification option in live view. For work overhead or close to the ground, there's no substitute for an articulating rear screen.</p>

<p>Many cameras have an HDMI output which can be used with a small monitor for live view and video production. They can be mounted on a bracket or even in the unused flash shoe, and placed at any angle. Monitors are more expensive than the Z-Finder, but generally between $200 and $500.</p>

<p>I have the Z-Finder EVF Pro, which includes the z-finder loupe and an evf; and a D810. There are lcd frames that let you attach the loupe to your lcd. I have found this to be useful for stills using live view in bright sunlight and of course for video. The evf will allow you to get low angle shots. I like the focus peaking on the evf for focusing manual focus lenses.<br>

In my experience the only con is the increased profile of your camera/rig.</p>