Z 24-120mm for walkabout semi-macro?

mike_halliwell

I notice that the Z version of this lens is capable of 1 : 2.5 whereas the F mount can only manage 1 : 4.5.

Anyone got the lens in question and can provide user feedback about it's close focus usage... does it breathe a lot?

I'm thinking about compositions about 3" across, but from various distances depending on easy access etc.

The kit Z 24-70mm is a bit short of reach and a bit lacking in macro at 1 : 3.3

I use the Z mount 24-120mm f4 lens on my Z9 as my walk around lens. I have used it for flower closeups, but never paid attention as to how close I could get or the exact ratio. I can tell you that my copy does not breath at all. When taking hand held pictures of morning glory blossoms at the beach the camera was pointing straight down and there was no lens creep at all.
  • Like 1

Last year, I used my 24-200 for some flower close ups and I think it need a nice job. Now I have the 24-120 also but haven't checked its close up capability. I know that while the F-mount 24-120mm/f4 AF-S VR can focus to quite close, the images are on the poor side compared to similar images captured with e.g. the 105mm/f2.8 macro AF-S VR. In other words, for a non-macro lens, even though you may be able to focus to near-macro distances, they could be unsharp.

Also among those lenses mentioned about, the Z-mount 24-120/4 S is the only one without optical VR. You'll be depending on IBIS if the camera has it.

Flower image captured with the Z6ii + 24-200 @ 200mm f11

_DSC0191.thumb.jpg.7ebf5870286e4cc62b5361af07340a6f.jpg

• Like 1