YouTube upload questions

Ian Rance

<p>I enjoy making short films about my local area - and after editing and a bit of music added to give some mood I have put some onto YouTube to share with those interested. However, the results are not as pleasing as I had hoped. I would appreciate your thoughts and any input.</p>

<p>My method is: Sony Hi8 camcorder to record, then dub down and edit to my Panasonic NV-J30 VCR (pressing pause for the bits I don't want) then adding music afterwards using 'audio dub' setting. This is a great boon as it does not affect the picture. Then I plug the VCR into my hard disk/DVD recorder and record to DVD. Then I take the DVD and put it into my home computer and upload to YouTube.</p>

<p>So, the problems. My latest video is <a href="

and firstly it looks very flat and lifeless compared to the original DVD. Is that the YouTube compression? Second, I have head switch tearing along the bottom which is a distraction. Is there a setting in YouTube to eliminate this? Lastly, for 10 minutes (250Mb) of footage, it takes my broad band computer connection over an hour. Is this normal or too slow. Any other comments appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks for any help - I am really in the dark with this.</p>

<p>Ian</p>

<p>Hi Ian, the difference in video quality between YouTube and your DVD is definitely due to compression. It may be unavoidable given the quality of your source material going through another generation of analogue transfer (Hi-8 to VHS).</p>

<p>The tape-head alignment causing the tearing at the bottom can be fixed if the offending machine (Hi-8 or VHS) has a tracking control; adjust the knob until it goes away on playback.</p>

<p>The upload time depends on your (upload) connection speed, traffic speed and how YouTube handles it. It's entirely possible for these factors to cause the time you experience.</p>

<p>Your work flow is rather antiquated. The resulting video quality as seen on YouTube will be much improved if you have a video-capable modern P/S camera and basic editing software.<br>

<a href="

[Example]</a></p>

<p>Thanks Michael.</p>

<p>I hoped it may be an easy option, but even asking those who also use YouTube say they have issues with quality. I know my gear is a bit older than some (total age of equipment used for this project added up = 40 years) but I know that I would be hopless at editing video on my computer. My old laptop is always getting hot under the collar and I don't want to strain it unduly.</p>

<p>Thanks, Ian</p>

<p>I know what you mean, Ian.<br>

A modern option won't necessarily cost an arm and a legIf you make videos on a more regular basis. For example, I just picked up a used <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv3/">Sony DCS-V3</a> on that auction site for under $100 which is capable of many modern features, infrared included. Here are example of its video capability:<br>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=DSC-V3+&aq=f">[Link]</a></p>

<p>With these little cameras, it's a simple matter of downloading the clip from memory card and upload to YouTube; adding music is as easy as using Windows Movie Maker.</p>

<p>Roxio and others make a gadget where you can plug the video and audio outputs from your camcorder into a box, then plug a USB cable into your computer and it makes the analog to digital conversion to get video onto your hard drive. I have "crash edited" video the way you are currently doing it, and also used profesional gear for analog editing. Believe me, editing on the computer is a hundred times easier. And it should save you most of the problems you're having.</p>

<blockquote>

<h1>YouTube upload</h1>

<p>See one easy process, <a href="http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/">iMovie</a>. Watch the demo movies.<br>

I have Hi8 gear from, holy cow, still in a camera bag somewhere.<br>

The process was straight to computer.<br>

It's good to list what the specs of your computer and camera are.<br>

You could skip a few steps in your process.<br>

Laptop processor doesn't like the load, that's why they overheat.<br /><br /><br>

If laptop is the main gear & it's getting typically over heated,<br>

then use cooling tactics with fans to direct a stream of air to keep it cooler.<br>

Jack up the laptop at slight angle to let forced cooling air flow in.<br>

Feel around it's vents to make sure flow is optimized.<br>

* Camera/Hi8<br>

Rewinding/fast-forward on the camera will eventually eat the motors.<br>

Canon replaced all the motors in one of mine, new in 06, a year later.<br>

I threw in the towel and went digital for video.<br>

At best, play the footage to computer in short one minute spots, or less.<br>

This will help the processor deal with it.<br>

*Computer/<br>

Save clip to external drive, then load the rest the same way.<br>

Clips will eat up a laptop's drive in a hurry.<br>

Bring them back in little by little, and hit save every time you add anything.<br>

Some software can crash working with analog video. So far knock on wood with iMovie.</p>

<p>In comparison, my MacPro with 8 processors works hard at it with video,<br>

but deals with it easily.<br>

A small single processor is like pulling a semi up-hill with a Toyota hatchback.<br>

My Apple laptop with dual 2.53GHz & 4Gb ram seems to be bare minimum<br>

dealing with video & large raw file software compared to my older single processor.<br>

*Software/<br>

As simple as iMovie is, it's slick with simple transition drop in's,<br>

adding music from files.<br>

Visit one of the Apple stores to see demo.<br>

*YouTube/<br>

To top it off, within iMovie, when edit is done, there is direct 'Share this' to<br>

upload the finished clip straight to your YouTube account.<br>

To see easy 60 second clip of my first Youtube, see Philscbx/<a href="It was all done with pocket camera ZS3.">Iowa Speedway</a>.<br>

All done with pocket camera ZS3, with added shots using 300f2.8 on Canon.<br>

Imagine a rookie, 50 something pulling it off like a kid.<br>

Have Fun</p>

</blockquote>