Your true personality and the effect on your street photography

Thought I would post my first discussion thread about street photography. I can only speak for myself,

but I knew I was beginning to make headway with my street photography back in 1983 when someone

pointed out that my images were, in effect, me from different angles. Now I know we all try to put our

best foot forward online (and I've been online in one form or another before there was a thing called the

Web), but I feel I've presented myself honestly. Therefore the best of my images are simple but

complicated in the details. This can be relevant to all photographers, but I'd love it if only those who

seriously shoot street photography participate. Most of the street photographers I've met have been from

NYC (unless they were well-known). The older New York street photographers tend to be real mothers, if

you know that expression. They are hard-core and extraordinarily intense and protect their "turf" and

techniques with a sometimes stony silence until you made the breakthrough with them. The younger

street photographers I've met, while being just as intense, have been more immediately open to sharing

viewpoints, although with both groups things tend to boil over, which in person can be fun. What I've

noticed from the photographers who weren't overtly derivatives of someone else was the link between

their true personality and the type of images they shot. The correlation took time, of course, since most

people keep their true nature close to the vest. I've admitted several times that one reason I love street

photography is that I'm a born stalker. I love to watch the minutae of conversations and interactions.

Sometimes I'm lucky enough to record it on film; sometimes I keep it for memory. I suppose the inevitable

question is, what trait deep inside you makes you shoot street photography? Or is it something as simple

as just the joy?

Interesting question, Orville. TRUE CONFESSION #1... When I was a kid I got a cassette deck for Christmas and used to run microphones throughout the house and record my parents and siblings while the talked on the phone, argued in the kitchen, or were just fooling around. One tape I have is a testament to the value of snooping... I made a half hour recording of my father playing the guitar and singing about 5 years before he died.

I guess I find this same value of preservation in taking pictures. Trying to see the person behind the mask has always been--not just interesting--but necessary to me. Since we're dealing with strangers on the street--catching people 'unmasked'--is as close as we can get to recognizing the soul of the Other. So if you can recognize their humanity, it reinforces your own.

Also I have a larcenous heart and like to see how much I can get away with. Is there a conflict there? Not if I don't recognize it as such...

Again, Orville, that's an interesting question.

Seriously, though.

I've always been fascinated by people. I remember thinking as a child that if I could just find a job that let me watch TV All day, I would be in heaven. Now I sit in front of a computer monitor 10-12 hours a day, and it's just not the same. Getting out with a camera is better.

My need is for acceptance.

I do see all the world as a stage, and my part is that of the voyeur. When my subjects allow me - either actively or passively - to photograph them, they give me what I need. Call it acceptance; call it complicity. They validate my contribution, as I validate theirs. I am not in any of my street images, but they are all, in some way, "of me".

Michael J Hoffman

Joe, I used to walk around with either an Olympus digital or a Sony Professional Walkman

recorders to tape what was happening on the streets. Sometimes I'd key in on, for instance,

the conversation of a couple and follow them for as long as possible. I'm about as discreet as

a pink elephant, so that didn't always work out. Funny thing is I almost never listened to the

tapes afterwards. the act for me was more important. I often feel that way about my street

photography. Walt, I know how you feel. I have a very regualr union job that puts me behind

a computer and monitor 9-5 every day. Next month will be my 25th anniversary on the job.

As Bugs Bunny said, "Eh, it's a livin'!"

For me it's the joy. In really don't care for the whole business of self discovery through photography. For awhile yeah I was sort of curious of what drove me but now I don't care. We are a goal oriented society so it's easy for one to wonder what any undertaking they embark on will ultimately lead to. For many it's about the destination not the journey. I once told an old darkroom guru who is familiar with my work that I had no idea why I shoot this way or what I'm supposed to do, if anything, with it all. He told me "You are creating a body of work and for now that's all you need to be concerned about." Good enough for me. The less I have on my mind when I'm shooting, the more meaningful the experience is for me and therefore the more joy I get out of it.

On a side note, I also am a extroverted people person. When I was growing up, I went out of my way to make friends with any new kid in class. I also went out of my way to make friends with anyone of a different culture simply because they were different. I didn't know it at the time for I was too young but people who were different from me and my family intrigued me in a way that I just had to see what they were all about. I still am that way. I have many great friends from all walks of life whom I continually learn from.

"one reason I love street photography is that I'm a born stalker" I know what you mean by that and you could say I'm a professional one. Being a nurse for thirty years gives one an intimate knowledge about human behavior which in fact is useless if you're not interested. Marc you say you have always been a extroverted people person. I have to be at work but in fact I'm kind of a loner. Most of my street work I do in Paris and I often go there for a few days all alone. My French is basic so all I do is wander the streets. I can also relate very much with Orville's statement about letting potential photo's go.

Yes, it's a interesting question because I think who you are and what you are is very much part of your photography. That in fact is one more reason that makes street photography quit unique because it's not something you can copy. I like to work very close while still maintaining a distance if that makes sense to you.

Marc, I also don't think about my motivations whil eI'm shooting. I'm just out there

basically trying not to press my shuuter at the wrong times, doing a quick exposure check.

I focus by feel if I have a tab on the lens and rack the focus over quickly depending on

subject distance. This kind of discussion is not always welcomed by street photographers.

I used to review work professionally at photo conferences. I always attracted street

photographers who would drop their work down at my table, usually mumbling about

how, finally, I was someone who would understand their work. I would start off by asking

them to tell me about their work. You would not believe how many were hardcore Garry

Winigrand types who would utter stuff like, "It is what it is, no explanation is necessary"

When I say Garry Winogrand types I mean they were tough guys, laconic to the core. U=I

know several people who knew Garry Winogrand, and the man could speak very

intelligently about his work and motivations - when he chose to do so. Otherwise he was

as tight as a stone clam. It's not always easy to speak about your work and the reasons

why it's "your" work, but it does clarify what your ultimate point is in heading out there

and can certainly lead to a more focused vision.

I wish you would be more direct and state your point. I'm not sure if the internet is the best

place to present outselves anyway. I think if someone claims to be a veteran then a Google

search will most likely prove or disprove that claim. We are all slightly or wholly different

from our web personalities. Some use the web as an opportunity to be someone they are not.

It's a free world. I try not to get caught up in that becuase what matters to me most is what's

in front of me. A web site is just that; a web site.

My point is (as you did not seem to notice) is that you have answered your own long question with this post:

<p>

<i>I'm not sure if the internet is the best place to present outselves anyway. I think if someone claims to be a veteran then a Google search will most likely prove or disprove that claim. We are all slightly or wholly different from our web personalities. Some use the web as an opportunity to be someone they are not. It's a free world. I try not to get caught up in that becuase what matters to me most is what's in front of me. A web site is just that; a web site.</i>

There was a questionnaire about street photographers' personality types, circulated some time ago, by an Australian guy (a street photographer too). I haven't seen the results of that query yet... It had something to do with the Jung types.

Orville, I agree that street pictures are more or less projections of the photographer's self. Actually all photography is to some degree just that, projection of the self.

For me it's all about the thrill of being able to capture something meaningful and emotive from a seemingly random and chaotic scene of life.

I have a pretty negative outlook on the world and society in general. I think it reflects in my images.

On a side note I've figured out what the "American style" of street photography looks like from the postings on photo.net.

''Most of the street photographers I've met have been from NYC (unless they were well-known). The older New York street photographers tend to be real mothers, if you know that expression. They are hard-core and extraordinarily intense and protect their "turf" ''

Photographers these days are very petty and competitive. I try to avoid becoming that way because it's pretty easy. Maye NYC is just crawling with photographers. Personally, I don't think I would enjoy street photography in major cities like London or NYC - it just doesn't do it for me.

Jukka, I agree, but I further think the best photography is as close to the real person as it

gets. Frank, if you're ever in NYC shoot me an email a week before you arrive. I'd be happy to

take you around. NYC street photography is absolutely marvelous and not to be missed. In

fact this invitation goes out to anyone here, within the limits of my time, naturally. I shoot

very very slowly (in terms of quantity) so will have lots of time to talk.

Interesting. I think of street photography as just how we see, and capturing it is the

expression of that sight. As said, it's the same with all of any photographer's work, but street

photography has a immediacy of the moment look and feel that requires a different kind of

intensity of sight, thought, intuition, and all the rest of a photographer. The camera is the

extension and the image the result of themselves.

Here's a recent shot taken last weekend. It's become a favorite of mine although I cannot guess why. Maybe after all the out of focus underexposed Delta 3200 shots I took last month it's nice to get a decent print for a change lol. Anyway, I don't see anything in this picture that alludes to anything about my personality. I took the shot because it presented itself to me. I actually took three or four shots even changing to my 50mm but liked this one taken with my 110mm the best. They watched me do this but if they knew I was also taking their picture they said nothing.

I do like how her hand is on his lap. Is it a caring gesture or possessiveness? I don't know. She is also overweight and a mention was made to me once that there are a lot of overweight people in my photographs. I disagree but yeah there are some. I'm not overweight myself nor do I have some phobia of overweight people or of becoming overweight. With a little more them half of the US population overweight, it's only obvious that some random shots are going to have such people in them. Like I said, this is from my most recent shooting so maybe this picture will become more clear to me as I think about it more. Maybe this is they way it is for the rest of you as well?<div>00Oxas-42559384.jpg.a80a4d6f479351b5f1074feee8b2f20c.jpg</div>

>>> Joe, I used to walk around with either an Olympus digital or a Sony Professional

Walkman recorders to tape what was happening on the streets. Sometimes I'd key in on, for

instance, the conversation of a couple and follow them for as long as possible.

I'm starting to do that now with an flash-based Oly digital recorder. One thing I've found in

doing that is you become keenly more aware of what's going on around you.

www.citysnaps.net

the moment i captured some ones soul... the way they gaze through the lenses, you get this feeling of connection. I still have memories of pictures i took, images that roll through my head, and I think where is this person now, are they alive, are they dead, are they right out side demanding rights to my photographs. . . Some times I will actually wait for people to look at me, and with a normal lens, it can get pretty close. It gives me this adrenaline rush.

Beyond that, its a great conversation starter. I've met so many people, and heard so many stories. thats why i do it, to connect.

It's been said here already. What you are you take with you and while that probably is indeed true with all kinds of photography I think there's a obvious and distinct difference with street photography. That's not so much amateur psychology but I think street work is very different as such. Here is an example of one of my recent photo's