Your projects for 2009?

john clark

<p>With the new year a short week or so away, I'm keen to add some structure to my shooting, and work toward actually having some sort of a portfolio, so I'm mulling over a few ideas for themed projects for 2009.</p>

<p>I was wondering whether other people consciously do likewise, setting a theme for a week/month/year and then aiming to bring some cohesion to their photography?</p>

<p>I'd be delighted to hear about your projects and perhaps I can take a little inspiration. Also, I'd be honoured if you have a '2008 project' in a similar vein that you can let me see - it might give me ideas which I can incorporate (with credit, naturellement...)</p>

<p>Ta!</p>

<p>I'm planning to add at least one more personal project to my commercial web site, the first will be a series of portraits of professional cricketers<br>

I've also been thinking of putting together a panel of work for a Royal Photographic Society distinction.</p>

<p>Unless I can find a way of shooting left handed, shoulder surgery is going to prevent me from taking any photos for a couple of months.</p>

<p>I have enough to ensure that I fail on at least some.</p>

<ul>

<li>Develop a proper processing workflow for digital photographs so that coming back from a trip reverts to being a pleasure, as it was/is when shooting slides, rather than an anticipation of drudge.</li>

<li>Get round to updating my website so I can explain to people what I've been up to since 2001.</li>

<li>Self publish a book on Coastlines. Purely a vanity project but I don't feel too bad about enjoying photography.</li>

<li>Continue efforts towards further/better gallery representation and a book contract. I know these things won't make me a fortune, and that the odds are low and to a point outside my control. But its what I'd like to achieve.</li>

<li>To identify start off a couple of new themes and projects to ensure that my interest and enthusiasm remain undimmed. </li>

</ul>

<p>Mine's more continuing work on two projects, a photography guide to Mt. Rainier NP (see <a href="http://www.wsrphoto.com/mtstart.html">Photo Guide</a> to date), and a personal view of the early history of Mt. Rainier, and mostly the pre-NP Designation years 1890-1900 (see <a href="http://wsrmtrnp.blogspot.com/2008/12/taking-season-break.html">update</a>), which includes the first <a href="http://www.wsrphoto.com/mtexpedition.html">scientific expedition</a> in 1896, the first topographic maps (1910-1915), and <a href="http://wsrmtrnp.blogspot.com/2008/10/pre-1900-photographers.html">early photographers</a> (1890-1900 just after the introduction of emulsion film). Add in the continuing work learning and working with 4x5 photography, pursuing a small photography business, and life, and the next few years already booked. Everything else fits in the spaces in between these projects.</p>

<p>Well, I'm currently working on a documentary of photos of Mom. She is recovering from a broken femor, and has been depressed about not being able to keep up her pre-injury breakneck pace. She is 60. I am using her cane as a small composition element in each photograph of her going about her daily activities that she would have to do with or without the injury. I want to eventually show her that her continued ability is the bigger picture, that the injury is a small, but not insignificant, part of what's going on.</p>

<p>I will also keep/resume working on my street shooting.</p>

<p>Michael J Hoffman</p>

<p>Continue my four year project on French Romanesque church architecture. Spend most of the year planning for the fall trip of five to seven weeks of intense shooting. Then we come back, edit the thousands of shots and plan for next year. The major portion of this project should be finished in two more years. By then, we should have some 60,000 shots.</p>

<p>David,<br>

I hear you on the self-publishing thing. Good with getting your book going! I've been looking for vast resources of this mysterious topic for myself. I haven't had much luck with publishers. This is one of my projects for '09. My other is trying to keep steadfast to my original style without having to cater too much to my tourist market in regards to subject matter. It's hard... *sigh*</p>

<p>My first priority is to find a publisher for a third book I shot this past summer, and then start shooting a at least two completely brand new book projects. This time I want to see if I can pre-sell a book to a publisher rather than sell it after it is completed, easing the cash flow problems of doing it the other way. I hope your projects go well in the new year!<br>

Mark</p>