Your Photography Pre & Post Cataract Surgery

<p>I had the lens replacement surgery 9 years ago. I was extremely near-sighted. Post surgery my vision corrected to 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. The other major change was that my natural lenses had yellowed over the fifty-some years so post surgery everything initially looked bluish.</p>

<p>I can't say that it has affected my photography except that it's nice to be able to hold my eye right against the eyepiece of the camera and see all of the viewfinder.</p>

<p>Al</p>

<p>Yes, a very appreciable difference. I had cataract surgery on my left eye in 2013. but my right eye was considered impaired enough to qualify for Medicare coverage of surgery on the right eye. I wear contacts on my right eye, which now <em>almost</em> matches the focusing range of my left eye - almost, but not quite. The difference is most apparent when driving. The other effect is the color shift, as Al said. The right eye has a yellow cast, the left has none at all. It can be a bit of a problem when checking print colors.</p>

<p>I had cataract surgery and implants to correct for myopia and astigmatism. I opted for excellent distance vision knowing full well that readers would be needed for close up use! I am very happy with the results these last 6 years! It has made photography even more enjoyable.</p>

<p>Had both done in early 2013. As mentioned, everything is bluer now, and images I had inkjet printed were way too blue ... as I had been looking at the world thru straw colored eyeball bits. After a few months everything just looks normal, not overly blue anymore (I assume it's brain adaptation).</p>

<p>I was very nearsighted with a bit of astigmatism. 20/2000+ without glasses. The lenses I had implanted are the ones without Fresnel etching so are free of halos. They are the ones that are bent and focused by the internal eye muscles. My dominant eye was set to distance (let's say short of infinity, I forget the exact value). The other eye set for about 6 feet. That way I 'accommodate' nearly from infinity to about 2 feet. Vision has settled in at 20/25 and 20/30 ... which to me is simply an unbelievable level of acuity.</p>

<p>I need reading glasses now for books and such, but not for monitors that are at least 2 feet away. Prior I had bifocals. Camera viewfinders, which are usually set to something like 3 feet (1 meter) are crystal clear again without any diopters! But ... those darned shutter speed dials and teeny-weeny numbers on parts .... grrr ... need reading glasses on sometimes. The brighter the location, the better I can see.</p>

<p>Compared to where I was, and what I lived with foolishly for so long, I'm blessed to be in heaven. Thanks to talented people and modern medicine. So, concisely ... a huge, huge, huge change and for the better, obviously.</p>

<p>Happy Jim<br>

:o)</p>

<p>I had both eyes done in 2006. There was a pronounced colour shift after surgery, and I unjustly got into arguments with the lab which makes my prints. When I understood what was going on I took to carrying a couple of pre-surgery prints to serve as guides. Earlier, when my vision changed rapidly as the cataracts developed, I had to get a new lens fitted in my "finder glasses" every few weeks. No difficulties after surgery.</p>

My dominant right eye was a victim of macular edema, for which there is no cure. When my left eye lens became

clouded, I had cataract surgery about 18 months ago. I can know drive and use a viewfinder quite well. I had spent a lot

of time and money acquiring diopter lense corrections. The downside to cataract surgery is that reading classes are

required for everything closer than about 12-18 inches, so I need them to modify aperture and shutter speeds on all of my

film cameras, and for chimping with digital. I am color blind so no difference there. The U of Washington is doing

research on a cure for color blindness, so there is hope there although I am approaching age 80. The best way I know

how to describe my color blindness is to say that caution and red stop traffic lights have the same hue to me.