Your Photography Dream

<p>Whether its a location, client or special event, everyone probably has that one 'ultimate' photography experience sitting in the back of their mind. OR maybe you've been lucky and already had this dream come true! (tell it anyways)</p>

<p>Since it's hard to narrow down favourites sometimes or you just cannot decide (like me) give us your top one or two on the list. To keep it fun, let $$ NOT be a barrier for this one.</p>

<p>Myself, I thought it was simply a NG photo tour like <a href="http://www.nationalgeographicexpeditions.com/expeditions/explorers-jet-tour/detail">this one here</a> (which is just WOW) but since I have volunteered lately with a Special Olympics sports team, my ultimate would be full credentials for the Summer and/or Winter Olympics (and maybe a place to stay while I'm there.</p>

<p>Regards, James</p>

<p>Exotic land travel photographer specializing in Nature, beautiful women, sports cars and Championship Sports(including the Olympics). Will on ocassion and if time allows, photograph the comings and goings of the Royal family, Heads of State, Celebrities and other famous wealthy people. </p>

<p>Well, I spent 27 days in Mexico City helping get the press photo lab up and running for the 1968 Olympics and then shooting basketball, swimming and diving and GrecoRoman wrestling for a major international wire service. All expenses paid. Was housed in a brand new condo built for the Olympics.<br>

On the other hand a gal I knew said I should go to the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles and photograph a hot new singer. My friend could get me a backstage pass. But I passed up photographing Big Brother and the Holding Company and Janis Joplin. Ooops.</p>

<p>My dream situation is not quite as grand as Harry Joseph's. As an amateur I enjoy shooting landscapes and sporting events. My dream would be to get pro level access to sporting events and to sell enough images to finance more trips to visit the scenic wonders of the world. </p>

<p>I'd like the energy and resources to do more personal, family and local documentary projects, photos and written narratives.</p>

<p>Camera equipment, meh... pretty much anything will do. Any decent P&S or small mirrorless system camera with a couple of lenses is good enough. The real expense is in printing and publishing.</p>

<p>I could use some workshops or tutorials in digital editing. I'm still nowhere near where I'd like to be, comparable to my traditional darkroom work.</p>

<p>A year of photographing a major autosport series - F1 would be the preference, but heck I'd take a year of being able to follow every NASCAR event, if I had full access and my costs were paid. Other than that I suppose all-expenses paid trips to the 10 or 12 places on earth I'd still like to go and haven't been; with not having to worry about a job to pay for it. Having said that photography has already given me so much enjoyment and so many memories that I'm not complaining about what I've been able to do.</p>

<p>OK, then...</p>

<p>An alien spaceship lands in my front yard. The commander of the ship comes and rings the doorbell. I invite him in and offer him some tea. He tells me that although not a single friggin' person on planet Earth recognizes my genius as a photographer, my work is quite well regarded throughout the galaxy. He is on a mission to invite me to photograph their supreme ruler. He asks me how many kilograms of diamonds I will require for my services. I tell him ten kilograms should compensate me fairly. He agrees, and I shake hands/tentacles with him. So I pack my gear, and off we go to the clients' planet. </p>

<p>A week later, Earth time, when I unpack my gear for the shoot, the aliens are dumbfounded that I can create such masterpieces with such a silly and primitive camera, but they humor me and let continue. They are ultimately pleased with the portrait of Its Supreme Majesty, although they are a bit perplexed that I took the liberty of white balancing per daylight around the Earth's sun, giving Its Majesty a rather ghastly pallor. </p>

<p>As a parting gift, they offer me a more advanced camera/computer/system that records all matter and energy within a space in three dimensions and allows me to reconstruct a scene from any vantage point within that space. It's a very interesting sytem, to be sure. To bad I can't interface it with a printer or any other piece of equipment we have on Earth. Oh well! At least with my 10 kg of diamonds, I can raise just enough cash to upgrade to the 5DIII and the rash of MkII lenses. </p>

<p>I'd want to have unlimited time and be able to shoot when and where I want. I miss the good light too many times because I'm about to be late to pick up my little one from daycare. Or the weather is only right when I have him with me (he's two and I can't just take him into the woods on a 2 mile hike). </p>

<p>And @ Jeff - you have no idea how truly boring it would be photographically to be a forensic photographer. I was a forensic chemist for 14 years and went to crime scenes. Getting paged at 3am to drive 2 hours to stand in the cold for 3 hours waiting for a warrant to examine/photograph/collect evidence in a crappy, roach-infested apartment where drug dealers lived gets old pretty fast. Message me if you want more. :) </p>

<p>My photography dream is for the Photo Gods to smile on me (all the time, and ONLY me). When I drive through a desert at night, let me come across a cemetery lit by a rising full moon in a pitch black sky. When I shoot on the streets, let there be a decisive moment every time I look into the viewfinder.<br /><br />Before each shoot, I pray to the Photo Gods in church, temple, synagogue, and mosque, etc., just to be sure. So far, my prayer is yet to be answered.</p>

<p>Sally, what part of Mongolia interests you? I was there in August - didn't see anything really worth shooting. The countryside I saw was in the south, near the China border (from Dalanzadgad southeast to Oyu Tolgoi). Being from Arizona, the desertscape was unimpressive to me. The countryside around Ulaanbataar looked more interesting (from the plane). Unfortunately I didn't get to explore outside of the city in that region. It was a business trip, so I was on a set schedule.</p>