Your photog does it matter much with others?

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by RaymondC, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Well said David - something like I would have written but your version is better. Thank you.

DavidTriplett likes this.
  2. Photography has always been a means of artistic expression for me; just a very natural thing that I enjoy. It's nice when I show photos to people they often ask if they could have one! I also get requests to take photos of families, kids, weddings, etc. because they know me and my work. A neighbor recently asked me to take a photo of their two girls on their front porch with decorations for their Christmas cards. I've known them since the girls were born and I was glad to to do it. 20201209_6310[1].jpg

3. Galleries I've visited representing a single photographer often have a dozen or fewer art or landscape images, offered in different sizes and frames. The tents at art fairs might have two dozen different images on display. I have maybe five images others (non-relatives) have seen and liked well enough to want a copy. That's out of nearly 200,000 in my files, and who knows how many non-keepers gallery photogs have on the side.

That kind of batting average would not earn a place on a church ball team, but I suspect it's not unusual even amongst experienced pros. So in response to the OP, cheer up, you're in good company. Secondly, don't give up if it gives you satisfaction. Finally, don't quit your day job.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  4. As long as I'm happy, I'm happy.

David_Cavan likes this.
  5. PapaTango

PapaTango Itinerant Philosopher

Ahhh, screw that...

Ludmilla likes this.
  6. "As long as I'm happy, I'm happy" Charles

There you go.

Nice too share though.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  7. I've just recently started 'curating' my slides and putting them on Flickr. I find this an absorbing and 'curative' (haha) pastime. It gives a sense of a life well spent (some of the time). I don't want to push these images down the throats of family or friends. I have annotated and referenced assiduously, so that some chance seeker may stumble on them thanks to online searches. I dislike FB because it floods my inbox with random images. I think your images have meaning for you, and if you can share them with little stories about your learning efforts, your experiences of places, people, mores and times, on some online or print media, that would be justification enough. Cheers!

8. It's horrible to think that when you die, your wife's next husband will throw out all your pictures.o_O

9. I started making video shows of my slides including some video clips, especially vacation and trips, including title, credits and music. Then play them on my 4K 75" TV. I've also downloaded some to YouTube. I hardly print anymore although I should start again and start giving framed enlargement as gifts.
    Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDzogShfhgCHh2rVvEsFOJQ

10. Well a few people care about my photography within a small group of friends, and family, but that's about it. I do photography because it's always been a relaxing activity, almost therapeutic in nature, and I enjoy the gear aspects, tech talk etc. It also nicely supplements my other hobby which is history, for documenting historic structures, places, etc. My attitude is kind of like a funny tv ad I saw about some medical product recently wherein a retired gentleman is playing golf badly, but gets to do so because of whatever the med is he's taking. He say's he plays golf badly, and he intends to go on playing golf badly for years to come. So, while I'd like to think I'm at least a competent photographer, in truth I really don't care what others think because it's other reasons I do it. I suppose if I had made a living out of it I'd care a lot more.

David_Cavan likes this.
  11. To answer the original question, it depends on who you're asking about.
    If you ask my wife, It matters a lot. She has a degree in photography, and my skills (and other traits) caught her eye when we were co-workers at the Henry Ford Museum. We started a wedding photography business which has gone well (other than Covid), and she enjoys being photographed as we expect our second child in 10 days.
    Customers?
    Matters a lot to them.
    They want to look their best.
    Our families?
    Her family has several skilled photographers with a solid understanding of the basics. They do it for fun. They are glad we have managed to make some money with it & have fun.
    My family is glad to have me documenting everyday family life. My father passed away in 2018 at 88, and he loved having me along on day trips in his Model T Ford, snapping away. A photo collage at his funeral was mostly my work, and I was honored.
    My siblings are more likely to think: "If he's taking pictures, then at least he's not riding motorcycles."
    But I take cameras on motorcycle trips, bicycle trips, whitewater trips.
    In the end, does it matter? You're not playing piano in a whorehouse when you are using your camera.

54516491_10213520933686090_8870044701118431232_o.jpg

12. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

David_Cavan and doug grosjean like this.
  13. Followup on this topic, which has been on my mind a bit over the past month and this discussion actually caused me to move forward with an idea I've had for a while. I've recently created a series of electronic albums that are "location-based" as opposed to "event-based". This started over the Christmas holidays and has become an interesting and on-going change. We have not printed a picture in years, but have many electronic images that are reasonably well archived and curated going back into family history from the 1800's. My wife is French, I'm Canadian, we've lived in multiple countries and have travelled extensively, by ourselves, with family, and with friends. There's always multiple cameras that bring back memories, and we've learned to document where we live as well as just recording travel experiences. So, a lot of photos. The new albums have 200-400 photos, and we use them on the tv screens throughout the house as screen savers using Apple TV boxes. It's been really interesting how we will walk by a tv, and see a photo of a national park, or a city, or a grandchild and that turns into a conversation. We've shared some of these with family via Google photos and they are using them in similar ways. The good news is that I can change them up, add/delete photos, and create new albums quickly and share them out. It's created some relevance for our hobby, and lots of good conversations about memories, and plans to do things to create more memories once this bleeping pandemic is behind us. Anyway, I thought that this group would like to know you've caused an evolutionary change for us in how photos work in our family - and helped to answer the OPs initial question.

14. One thing I get out of photography that hasn't been mentioned in this conversation is camaraderie. Within my circles of motorbike and car enthusiasts is an active group of photographers. Some are professionals, some are enthusiasts. When a large event happens, most, if not all of us turn out. We enjoy hanging out with one another and then for weeks (or months) afterwards, we all enjoy seeing each others' photographic perspectives- as we are all shooting the same subjects in varying ways with varying equipment. From antique Graflex 4x5 & 8x10, to antique tintype, to older film cameras, to Polaroid instant, to modern DLSRs, sometimes even modern cameras with old lenses on them- everyone brings something to the table. Heck for that matter, 2 or 3 of my best or really good friends are photographers.

Another aspect of this camaraderie is to be found in photo groups on social media sites such as f@c3b00k and inst@gram. With the current "boom" (call it what you will) in film, there are a good number of groups to fill many different niches within the realm of film photography. There's a worldwide community of thousands, and people are mostly supportive of one another. That same sense of camaraderie may be found here, to whatever degree. I've made more than a couple real life, real time friendships that began on other internet forums, and I don't rule it out here.

SO whether we share our images online, or give prints to friends & family, our photographic legacy may outlive us. How much does it "matter" to "others"? I'd guess one would have to ask whomever these "others" are for their opinions.

David_Cavan likes this.
  15. I find that my issue is I care about the photograph as a photograph, but most people (other photographers included) care about who are what they see in the photograph.

David_Cavan likes this.
  16. That's a good observation and one that I think inspires a lot of photographers in the way they approach and make photos, playing with that and other counterpoints.

David_Cavan likes this.
  17. It sounds good, but not sure really what it means. What should a photographer be looking at? The frame? The composition separate from the subject? I can give something 5 out of 10 as a photo even if I hate the subject, I guess, but it's not surprising that the subject (even if abstract) is what it pretty well what is all about, unless it is some kind of shot documenting something particular such as in a catalog. I don't take pictures (unless paid to do so) of subjects that don't interest me.

18. I think many photographers do. There are many who set out to take pics of what most people might consider ordinary, uninteresting subjects and, with lighting, perspective, and other choices choose to make them into interesting photos. There are plenty of boring photos of interesting subjects and plenty of interesting photos of boring subjects. There are also plenty of photos that aren't subject-driven but operate more as metaphor for emotions or feelings, more lyrical rather than literal photos.
    Photographers look at so many different things. It would be very hard to answer this. What was Minor White looking at when he took pictures of clouds? ... more than the clouds as subject, I reckon. Were film noir directors interested in the Venetian blinds as subject or the mood of the light and lines they cast at night? Were they interested in the actual reflection of the neon sign on the rain-soaked pavement or in creating an atmosphere of angst or cynicism? These don't have to be either/or questions.

19. I think many photographers do.

Well if that is the case then I feel a little sorry for them. Why take images that don't interest you, unless you are being paid? Seems a pointless activity. At least if you hate running while hating it you can get a health benefit.

20. I don't know. Who said that?

You may have misunderstood what I said, so I'll try to clear it up. Let me quote, for emphasis, what I actually said, noting the important difference between an interesting subject and an interesting image. I was responding to your original question, which was about not taking pics of of subjects that don't interest you.
    So, the photographers I was talking about (including me) are making images that do interest them, of subjects that didn't necessarily already do so.

Sanford likes this.