Your photo OCD idiosyncrasies?

KenPapai

<p>Inspired by a thread in the Off Topic forum...<br>

Do you have any or many photo compulsions or things that <strong>always bother </strong>you? Like:<br>

* SLR shooters sans lens shade!<br>

* SLR shooters using pop-up flash<br>

* digital rebels of any flavor<br>

* shooters in JPG-only then asking for image help with white balance, blow-outs, or similar<br>

* any threads about Nikon v. Canon as to which is better<br>

* those bizarre lens names like takumar or solinar or elimart!<br>

* silver cameras</p>

<p>LOL.</p>

<p>Not photo related but one of the things that REALLY gets to me are 'shared' email address - like "John and Jane Doe@anywhere.com". Even worse is when you get a message that's not signed, no idea of who sent it - John or Jane?</p>

<p>E-mail addresses are free - everyone can have their own.</p>

<p>I'm now climbing down off my soapbox.</p>

<p>-People using a brand new Canon 1 series, or a Nikon D3 with a Quantaray 28-300 and stacked Quantaray polarizers and UV filters. <br>

-People who don't pronounce camera names the same as me (I'll be damned if I'm saying Nikon wrong, I'm saying it right!) <br>

-People using flash at a stadium seated hundreds of feet from the stage/field. Double points if its during the day.<br>

-A subset to the Canon/Nikon threads: should I sell $8000 worth of X brand gear and switch to Y.<br>

-My lens is blurry threads! Usually the shot is taken at like 1/30th with a 85mm lens handheld, with focus/recompose while it is windy, and wide open.<br>

I will defend the pop-up flash. It is handy for fill, and doesn't take up extra room in your bag.</p>

<p>I'm pretty obsessive and somewhat compulsive about cleaning my equipment. Beyond that, Ken, here's a photo taken with my silver EP-1, with no lens hood!</p>

<p>(In fairness, I too prefer black cameras. Also, I always use hoods, but Oly dosn't make a hood for the EP-1 17mm, and the front element is so small and flare-resistant, I'm going without.)</p><div>00VZkf-212859584.jpg.0a1600e5b9eaee7357178c46f651dee1.jpg</div>

<p>But Eric -- that's not an SLR, is it? Some other beast. My lenses get in the wait of a pop-up flash - bad shadows cast.</p>

<p>Also, yes, flashes popping off in huge sports stadiums!</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>-People using a brand new Canon 1 series, or a Nikon D3 with a Quantaray 28-300 and stacked Quantaray polarizers and UV filters. </em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>You nailed it Franklin! </p>

<p>well, some of us started with a rebel... and still dont have the money to go to a new camera... however, i have no problem acknowledging what it is and realize its handicaps just fine.... many of my friends with similar cameras...dont.<br>

I also tend not to use a hood unless the sun is at an angle that will affect the lens. I also dont bother with a hood if its windy.</p>

<p>people who think film is the end all be-all.<br>

people who think film is dead<br>

people who think digital is the end all be-all.</p>

<p>multi-thousand dollar cameras on full auto</p>

<p>people buying 600$ flashes then asking what second curtain sync is.</p>

<p>people spending thousands on high end equipment then asking why it won't take a good picture and blame (insert camera maker here)</p>

<p>there's more, but this is enough for now...</p>

<p><ul><li><em>Experts</em> who ask me what kind of camera I'm shooting with and, when I tell them it's a <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_D60">Canon EOS D60</a>, they <em>correct</em> me and either tell me "that's impossible; that camera hasn't been released yet" or snidely inform me "pfft...you're getting Canon XXD vs. Nikon DXX models mixed up".</li>

<li>People who shoot with their elbows straight out like they're trying to fly away; get those arms in! :D</li></ul></p>

<p>Uhhh, those are the only two cringe-worthy ones I can think of.</p>

<ul>

<li>Lens cap strings</li>

<li>Camera straps with brand names</li>

<li>People who helpfully inform me that the camera can focus for me when I am using a manual lens</li>

<li>People who try to impress me with the fact that <em>their </em> camera can take 1000 pictures on a 1gb card (had a fellow with a D3 tell me this proudly)</li>

</ul>

<p><em>*silver cameras</em></p>

<p>In addition to owning all the Nikon heavyweight film bodies, I recently bought an N75 (silver) and am really lovin' it! Its mediocre appearance seems to eliminate many of the annoying comments from bystanders that have been previously mentioned.</p>

<p>Certain tourists- from LA often- who- shove, squirm an press their way to front of the crowd of us photo onlookers, knock anyone out of way to get the best clearance for their dumb snapshot . While chirpin' " Excuse me...excuse me. excuse me.." (bang/bash/ shove).... If I should loose my cool, translate outrage to action, ( let us say use my monopod like a shelelagh)...No, forget I wrote that.<br>

Corollary to line smasher bugs me thought. Same goofer will park his/her rental car in narrow exit lane at a gravel lot. Or maybe in the handicapped stall...mental handicap? Most people are courteous. Asian tourists excel. Polite society.</p>

<p>I've a couple. I simply cannot use a camera that is not in completely perfect working condition. Even if I never use the meter, the meter better work. Since I enjoy using classic film cameras, this gets time consuming finding EX examples of everything or paying a Tech to make it so.<br>

Secondly, I can't stand never-ready "action" camera cases. No logical reason but I have a very large cardboard box filled to the brim with dozens them. I use bags, belt pouches and/or my pockets. I love it when sellers have 'em on the camera I want to buy, but it's the first thing to go when I get a camera.<br>

Lastly, any thread that begins "Convince me to ......." Seeking information or advice is one thing. Asking me to make a augument for you to do or not do something is not going to happen. It seems some people enjoy this game so it may just be me. I don't care what you use to make pictures with. Make up your own mind, lazy bones!</p>

<p>I have one. It involves a group of shooters with camouflaged, hats, vests , pants, boots and lenses (500mm or above) on immense tripods lined up shooting at a bird or animal no further away that 50 feet. I just have to mount my smallest overall sized lens on my oldest film camera I have with me and go stand in front of them while innocently snapping away. I just can't help myself, at that time I am completely out of control.</p>