Your Photo.net Subscription Confirmation and Receipt <-- WTH?!?!

hogne_b_pettersen

I can never in my entire life remember ever registering for this site. Yet, today I received a message telling me that my account will be automatically be changed to Premium membership from Oct 1st, and that I will be billed.

THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN!

I've desperately tried to delete my account, after logging on to it to see what the hell was going on. I can't find anywhere to delete it.

If any admins read this: Delete my account immediately, or tell me how I can do this. And DO NOT send me any bills from Oct 1st.

• Like 1

I believe the photo.net database has been hacked. I received two emails from two different email addresses and not from photo.net

Hope You didn't follow the link or open the zip file..

No, when I realised that they were pointing to a zip-file, I did NOT download it. I never ever download zip files from organisations or people I don't know.

Same here. I don't want a premium membership. The e-mail is from [photo @ sudjam .com ]. Sudjam is a software developer. And than the link; [https: //www . udeth . c om/ PhotoNet _ Membeship _ Premium _ Info _ Html . zip? Udeth . com] is a Chinese site. Uncertain WTH that is.

So Admin, let us know what in blue blazes this is.

Edited by William Michael

I can never in my entire life remember ever registering for this site. Yet, today I received a message telling me that my account will be automatically be changed to Premium membership from Oct 1st, and that I will be billed.

THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN!

I've desperately tried to delete my account, after logging on to it to see what the hell was going on. I can't find anywhere to delete it.

If any admins read this: Delete my account immediately, or tell me how I can do this. And DO NOT send me any bills from Oct 1st.

I don't think you'd have too much to worry about. Unless you gave your credit/debit card details to anyone claiming to be Photo.net, there's not much they can do to get your money. Personally, I'm going to 'ride out the wave' and stay with Photo.net.

Oh dear.

Photo.net has been hacked, yes?

You actually did have a paypal subscription from me, back in the mists of 2004. I guess that means very little, but I would like to say, if your Chinese hackers find a way to take money from me via Paypal, I will be coming to you for a refund.

In the meantime, please delete my account. Sorry, I don't know "please delete my account" in Chinese.

I am not going to pay $29.95 per year for Photo.net.

I also don't see where to delete my account.

Administrator: please delete my account

You found this thread. If you read it, you see that it's a scam attempt. Of course you're not going to pay $30 a year, and photo.net isn't asking you to. (But I sure was taken in and thinking WTF just like everyone else. Then my suspicion kicked in, and I found this thread, which confirmed that it's a scam. Thank goodness!)

Second: why would one ever believe that posting "please delete my account" in a post would ever result in any action?

I'm not sure if this was a hack or not, but it's definitely a phishing email. I came back here and logged on, mainly for kicks. I first joined 19 years ago. My entire contribution to the site is FIVE MESSAGES. Those were done about ten versions of forums ago, so old that they are no longer accessible through the current forum database. No photos, no reviews. So obviously there is no current, valid billing information on file. Unless you have given photo.net your credit card or debit card, there simply isn't any way for them to bill you, even if they wanted to.

So there. Now I have *six* messages. LOL

• Like 3

Oh dear.

Photo.net has been hacked, yes?

You actually did have a paypal subscription from me, back in the mists of 2004. I guess that means very little, but I would like to say, if your Chinese hackers find a way to take money from me via Paypal, I will be coming to you for a refund.

In the meantime, please delete my account. Sorry, I don't know "please delete my account" in Chinese.

According to Google translate (Traditional Chinese); 請刪除我的帳號 ;-))

I'm not sure if this was a hack or not, but it's definitely a phishing email. I came back here and logged on, mainly for kicks. I first joined 19 years ago. My entire contribution to the site is FIVE MESSAGES. Those were done about ten versions of forums ago, so old that they are no longer accessible through the current forum database. No photos, no reviews. So obviously there is no current, valid billing information on file. Unless you have given photo.net your credit card or debit card, there simply isn't any way for them to bill you, even if they wanted to.

So there. Now I have *six* messages. LOL

Agreed. We do not store or keep any credit card information - even for those that have subscriptions all transactions are handled through encrypted tokens which are handled by PayPal and Stripe - so there is absolutely no way any subscriptions will be charged. This is a Chinese phishing expedition.

Agreed. We do not store or keep any credit card information - even for those that have subscriptions all transactions are handled through encrypted tokens which are handled by PayPal and Stripe - so there is absolutely no way any subscriptions will be charged. This is a Chinese phishing expedition.

[uSER=6309921]@GPalm[/uSER] - Yes, of course, this is a poorly crafted "phishing expedition" but how did the perpetrator know to associate our particular email address with Photo.net, in the first place? Your member-database was compromised, no?